Men in kilts...running!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
September 2nd 2006
Published: September 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Before leaving home in May we had bought tickets to the highland games. We have been excited about it ever since! For those that aren't familiar with the games, its basically a bunch of men (most in kilts) throwing very large heavy objects. These consist of Throwing the Hammer", "Putting the Stone", and "Tossing the Caber." The Braemar Caber was 19 feet long and weighed 132lbs! Of course there is historical signifigance to it all, but you can look that up at your leisure. There were also running events which were the most entertaining because 2 of the men ran in kilts! You should've heard the cheers from the stands when the first guys kilt flipped up. The poor lad had to run most of it holding his kilt down, and he still won! There were highland dancers of all ages, and loads of Bagpipe bands from surrounding areas. Another event was the tug-of-war. After watching a few matches you could definetely see there is a strategy to it, who knew. Despite the cold and rain (so cold that we had to buy scarves, touques and mits; I acctually had to go back to the B&B at lunch so that I could put an extra pair of socks on as my toes were completely numb!) the Queen came to watch the games for about an hour. She was accompanied by Prince Charles, Princess Anne and Camilla. For lunch I tried venison for the first time and it was delicious (sorry Rudolph!) We wathced the games from 9am until 4:30pm the offical close of the games. Before dinner, Angele, Rebecca (the Canadian girl) and I decided to do a short hike. It was about 45min up and we got amazing views of Braemar, the surrounding mountains and valleys. Our B&B was serving dinner at 7pm. Yum, home made food and apple crumble for dessert. I, with the help of Rebecca also managed to obtain a second helping. After we were a bit giddy from the wine and decided to play a game of sharades before bed. I found out that I am good at guessing but bad at acting, whereas Angele is very good at acting and is very entertaining!

Amie

Advertisement



29th September 2006

Not sure which I am more jealous of....
hmmm..... man running in kilt or watching the highland games. I just cant decide which one I am more jealous of. :) Cheers, Cathy P.S I (L) U!!!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb