Colonsay Arrival


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
July 26th 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Warm and sunny for most of the day.

Reasonable nights sleep with alarm waking me about 6.30. Showered, breakfasted and packed by about 8.45. Walked the hundred yards to the pick-up point and waited for the bus. There is only one bus a day so I had to order a special bus so as to make my ferry connection. Bus arrived a few minutes late. No real problems although we were held up by half a dozen cars coming off the Islay ferry so by the time we reached the ferry terminal there were shouts of hurry up from the ferry.

Pleasant ten minute crossing to Port Askraig on Islay and then waited for the Colonsay ferry which arrived a few minutes later. This is a much larger vessel and has room for a few score cars although as these had to reverse onto the ferry there were some comical moments.

Pleasant crossing although as ever there was a mist / haze hanging over the sea. Disembarked and asked the guy in charge of the terminal about camping - remember ‘officially frowned upon but unofficially …..’ He directed me to a small bay where I am now camped. This is a walk of no more than a mile from the terminal but with a large ‘sac and a steep area of terrain to negotiate I was glad it was no further. Took some time deciding on where to park myself but eventually selected a small area of grass on an embankment about five feet above the beach and perhaps 50 feet from the high water mark. So essentially I look out over a narrow strip of grass to a wide sandy bay with rocks in the middle. Plenty of bird life and apparently otter live here although none yet seen. Two yachts are moored in the bay so I have some company.

Walked back down to the small settlement by the ferry in the afternoon - no more than ten / fifteen houses. Made some purchases in the store - expensive but that is because of their transportation costs and treated myself to a cheesecake and cold drink.

Hired a bike - just £5 for the whole of tomorrow. Two brakes, a few gears but no panniers. ‘Phoned mother - for once the BT phonebook functioned correctly so we had a long conversation for £1.

Back to camp, evening meal then stroll along the beach and rocks taking a few photos.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1161s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb