Jura Arrival


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
July 22nd 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Low cloud and mist to start with. Quite cool. Warmed up in the afternoon - very humid. Cloud gradually cleared although hovered over the Paps (mountains on Jura) all day.

Slept badly and woke with a start at 6:50. Tut tut ! Packed within two hours and returned bike to shop, posted some unwanted stuff back to mother to lighten my loaded and wrote some postcards while waiting for the bus.

Twenty min bus journey to Port Askaig ferry terminal (more of a two person shelter rather than a terminal). Hundred yard walk to ferry - big enough for perhaps five cars. Ten minute crossing - sadly light was not very good. Had an hour wait for the one and only bus so wandered a little way along the coast.

Bus duly arrived and I and the two other passengers clambered on board. Lady driver stopped every now and again to point out features of interest. About fifteen minutes arrived in Craighouse which is the main settlement in this island which has a total population of about 180.

Pitched my tent in the field in front of the hotel overlooking the sea. The Hotel makes no formal charge but has a donations box the funds apparently going to local services. Campers have access to laundrette and showers / wc. Shower and laundrette both being £1 each.

From abandoning my cliff-top in Bowmore (Islay) to pitching tent in Jura was less than three hours. Found the local stores and stocked up on provisions as it is not open on Sunday. There is also no bus on Sunday - not sure if that is because of the Sabbath or because of the lack of customers. The bus incidentally just goes from the ferry terminal (??) at Feolin to Inverlusa about seven miles from the top of the island - there is only the one road.

Wandered around the bay during the afternoon and found the bike hire man and hired a bike (two brakes but no pannier) for two days. Hopefully the weather will justify the expense. Tomorrow intend to cycle to the top of the island.

Rested for remainder of day !


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb