One Day in Glasgow Town


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
August 30th 2012
Published: August 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The name 'Glasgow' probably brings to mind for most of us a smoky and grimy industrial city, with ship-building and major heavy engineering the main activities. There was a time half a century ago when this might have been accurate, but the city has re-invented itself.

Since Roman Times there has been a settlement at Glasgow's site on the Clyde River. Without delivering a lesson in the city's history, in the 19th century and the first half of the 20th, Glasgow was one of the world's leading industrial and financial centres. But today, this is a leading city of culture and the arts, music and sport. A highlight for us was learning that all of the municipal galleries and museums have free entry!

Glasgow will host the 2014 Commonwealth Games, so expect to see a lot more of it!

As we didn't have a lot of time this visit, we took a (rather chilly) tour on the semi-open top deck of a double decker bus. Not usually our scene, but it's an ideal introduction to a new city. Some of the photos will give you an idea.

After the tour, we spent an interesting couple of hours visiting the Riverside Museum - the Scottish Transport Museum.

The drive back to Northumbria brought us through the beautiful Scottish Borders, via the road by St Mary's Loch and a stunning glen with the falls known as the Grey Mares Tail, and the towns of Selkirk and Hawick. Across the border at the summit of the Cheviot Hills at Carter Bar, along by Otterburn, through the village of Rothbury and we were home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



9th September 2012

Glasgow certainly looks to be a beautiful city. Is that your first time there? I guess it would look much different in the middle of winter!! Love the photos.

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb