Ben Nevis and Glencoe


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
October 1st 2010
Published: October 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our next stop was Glencoe so that we could climb Ben Nevis and explore the scenery of Glencoe. We decided to climb Ben Nevis the day after we arrived as that was forecast to be the best day for the week. We set off nice and early and were excited when we saw the sign to the top (we couldn’t see the top as it was in the clouds). It was a fairly easy walk up but very long. We had plenty of rest stops, one by a small loch which Jackie had last been to when she was 7. We had quite a laugh with other groups of people as we kept passing them, only to be overtaken again when we next stopped. It was a good job the path was easy to follow as from half way up the cloud cover was quite dense which meant the views were nonexistent - a bit disappointing. We stumbled upon the summit, visibility was so poor we didn’t see it until we walked into it, but we felt a great sense of achievement - the highest point of the UK and we had walked every millimetre to it! This is one of the few climbs that starts at sea level and boy did we feel it the next day (actually five days but whose counting).

It was a good job we climbed when we did as the rest of the week it chucked it down and the only other trip we did was into Fort William where we got drenched and didn’t want to go out no more! - not that our legs wanted to work anyway. Unfortunately the weather meant that we did not see much of Glencoe but the drive through it and up over Rannoch Moor when we moved on was spectacular.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

A sense of de ja vuA sense of de ja vu
A sense of de ja vu

Jackie can remember this from when she was 7 (can't remember anything else!)


Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb