Bike Ride Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
April 17th 2023
Published: April 17th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Our first biking day.
Inverness to Fort William a bike ride of about 120 km (75 miles)
As is customary, we got up early and left the hotel at 8.15. The trip took us mostly along the Loch Ness; exactly the loch of (in)famous monster of Loch Ness, baptized as Nessie. Infamous because after many year the photographer of the monster confessed that the photo was a hoax.
The road along side the loch goes up and down, a great way of the legs getting used to the environment. The wind was against us but the weather was nice. Sunny at the outset with temperatures around 10 degrees Celsius 50 F) gradually growing more overcast but with temperatures increasing to 17 C (63 F).
We made our first stop after 60 km in Fort Augustus along the Caledonian Canal. A livelyvillage with a long history.
Here recharged our batteries for the final stretch of our journey , at least that what we thought. Shorty after Fort Augustus we took a wrong decision to follow a path that was indicated as being blocked due to maintenance and logging activities. This has happened to us before and most of the we had found the solutions to bypass the obstacles. The reason that we took our decision was to avoid driving alongside the buzzy highway. This time luck was not on our side and after 5 miles we ran into a totally blocked road and had no other alternative than to return losing precious time and battery power.
This decision and an hotel that resulted to be further than we anticipated brought us in battery power problems, i.e. Jaap and me. Our travel companions, who are significantly younger and stronger than us, still had sufficient battery power and since their bicycles are compatible with ours, a battery switch was engineered that brought us all to our hotel where we arrived at 5.15PM.
The 120km of today was more than enough for me and after an early dinner I am ready for bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb