Day 5 - Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
August 4th 2019
Published: August 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Just letting you know I have not fallen off the face of the earth. We have been doing a lot of sightseeing and when I get back to my room just fall asleep and wake up in time for the next days tour.. But I am going to catch you up with my trip. Across from Waverly train station where we arrived yesterday and where I will return for my train tour at the end of my vacation, stands the Balmoral hotel the site of my train tour group meeting.

Almost directly opposite is the Victorian memorial Scott Memorial, dedicated to Sir Walter Scott, one of Scotland's greatest writers. There are 287 steps to the top as attested by our local guide Bill, who climbed to the top when he was much younger. It is the 2nd largest monument in the world.

Auld Reekie, 'Old Smokey' as Scotland's capital city is known affectionately. In the Middle Ages the city was entirely walled. It is made up of the medieval Old Town anf the elegant Georgian New Town with gardens and neoclassical buildings. The buildings in the Old Town section are covered with soot from the use of coal which was stopped a number of years ago. the chimney tops have been capped to maintain a historical appearance.

Edinburgh's skyline is dominated by Castle Rock topped by Edinburgh Castle a historic fortress. the castle has existed since the 12th century. Since the 17th century it has been a military garrison. The castle is one of the most important stronghold and has been involved in many historical conflicts. As such it is the most besieged places in Great Britain and the most attacked in the world.

St. Giles Cathedral (Church of Scotland) or better known as the High Kirk (church) of Edinburgh and is regarded as the "mother church of Presbyterianism", was founded in 1124 and became the focal point of Scottish Reformation lead by John Knox who was its minister from 1559 - 1572. The church is made up of curves so that the devil couldn't hide or as some world same "Englishmen couldn't hide". It has an incredible ceiling.

The National Museum of Scotland is the result of the merging of the New Museum of Scotland and the Royal Museum as the buildings are adjacent to each other. The collection includes a diversity of the natural world, world cultures, art and design, science and technology and Scottish history.

The building housing the Scottish National Portrait Gallery is made of red sandstone, as is most of the buildings in Edinburgh and fashioned after the Doge's Palace in Venice. The collection includes 3,000 paintings, two of which are of Mary Queen of Scots both of which were painted over 20 years after her execution. It also contains 25,000 prints and drawings and 38,000 photographs., Definitely need to return in the future to spend days covering the entire museum.

The government decided to build a new building and after much discussion and debating the new Parliament was built near Holyroodhouse Palace. The design is very modern and not liked by most of the population.

The Royal Mile begins at Edinburgh Castle and at the bottom is the Palace of Holyroodhouse, which is the official residence of the Queen when in Scotland on official business and is also used for state functions and ceremonies. On the outer section of the palace is Queen Mary's Bath House, just a wee building.

On either side of the gates at Holyroodhouse are two statues on guard. the Royal Lion and a Unicorn, which is the national animal of Scotland.

Just past Holyroodhouse Palace and the new Parliament building is Holyrood Park, a public park with hills and crags shaping Edinburgh's skyline. Its history and archaeology spanning thousand of years. A key point of interest is Arthur's Seat, the park's highest point which is the remains of a volcano. Flint and stone tools show human activity back 5,000 years.

Near Holyroodhouse Palace and the new Parliament is the Queen's Gallery which forms part of the palace and exhibits works of art from the royal collection.

On the way to Holyroodhouse Palace and the Scottish Parliament is a public garden enclosed by a wall. The significance of this garden is that it houses the first statue outside of the US of President Abraham Lincoln.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb