South Queensferry and the Tattoo


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » West Lothian
August 6th 2014
Published: August 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we visited the hometown of Mr. Rice. This was the town of Queensferry, also called South Queensferry. Queensferry is a town to the west of Edinburgh, on the shores of the Firth of Forth between the Forth Bridge and the Forth Road Bridge. It was about a 10 minute train ride from the Haymarket Station to Dalmeny Station. From there, Jim's cousin Charles picked us up and gave us a walking tour of where the Rices grew up. It was neat to see the houses where Mr. Rice and the Aunties May and Betty lived in growing up, as well as the schools they went to. It was also serene to see the cemetery where Jim's paternal grandmother was buried.



After walking along the water and reveling in the sights that's the Forth Rail Bridge and Forth Road Bridge, we met up with the Aunties and had a lovely lunch with at the Hawes Inn. It was pie Wednesday, so when it's pie Wednesday, we have pie.... chicken and leek pie to be exact. Two thumbs up. Queensferry is such a charming and quaint little town. I can see why the Aunties prefer the town of Queensferry to the hustle and bustle of Edinburgh.



After lunch, we headed back to the "city" to rest up for the Military Tattoo show that evening. We had dinner at Mamma's Pizza in Grassmarket, which is right next to the queue for the Tattoo. We had pizza... a tomato and cheese as well as the Surf and Turf, which had prosciutto and shrimp. A quick meal to satisfy our tummies before we watched the Military Tattoo.



So what is the Military Tattoo? The Military Tattoo happens once a year only during the month of August. It's when the Castle Esplanade gets transformed into a spectacular stadium which serves as the background for a program full of choreographed drills, massed bagpipe bands and drums, Bands of Her Royal Majesty's Royal Marines, battle re-enactments, national dancing, pyrotechnics and the finale of the Lone Piper. This year's theme of "Our Home, Family and Friends" showcased a homecoming like no other. The music and performances of all acts were a sight to see. Definitely something everyone should experience at least once.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Forth Rail BridgeForth Rail Bridge
Forth Rail Bridge

Can you see the rail car?
Pie WednesdayPie Wednesday
Pie Wednesday

Chicken and Leek Pie.
The formationThe formation
The formation

This doesn't do it justice


Tot: 1.04s; Tpl: 0.3s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 10; ; mem: 1.1mb