Day3 - Peterhead to Dornoch


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Sutherland » Dornoch
October 19th 2014
Published: October 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 3 Peterhead to Dornoch


This blog is written tonight under the influence of 15 yr Dalmore.

Starting off leaving Peterhead we visited as many small fishing villages as we could. The winding narrow streets were a treat to drive.

Some villages claim to be 16th or 17th century.

We stopped when we heard the bells ringing in Fraserburgh where the minister asked us to come in for the service but we begged off and headed back onto the road.

Next stop was Duff House. A manor house donated to the National Trust. We just had to have a lunch of cullen skink & tea in the tea room.

This place has the best town names... Buckie, Lossiemouth, Duffus, etc... and we drove thru all of them.

Stopping at the Elgin cathedral ruins. 2 of the main towers are still intact and we found a grave marker from 1570 inside the cathedral walls.

A slight sprinkle of rain but not enough to get worried about.

And now for something completely different....

You know when you are driving down the road and you see something really out of context you just have to take the picture..

Any Ghostbuster fans out there???

Yes that is the Stay Puft Marshmallow man! I just couldn't get him out of my mind...

Continuing off along the coast we found Brodie Castle. Originally built in the 1500's and remained in the hands of the family until the 1930's. The original tower was added onto in every century after it's construction. The family donated the castle, grounds and contents to the National Trust and is a wonderful museum full of art, furniture and everything else you could think of over the last 400 years.

OK for all of you Outlander fans the next little bit is for you.

Going towards Inverness we had to stop again at the Culloden Battlefield and around the corner is the Clava Cairns. These are the type of standing stone that started Claire's story.

Sadly at this time we are losing the light and must scurry to our hotel in Tain. A quick change and down for dinner.

Smoked fish, pork and haggis followed closely by sticky toffee pudding (for me)

Tomorrow off to the far northeast...Wick, Thurso & Tongue....That's not a legal firm, they are the names of towns.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

VistaVista
Vista

Views like this around every bend.
Standing StoneStanding Stone
Standing Stone

Do you really want to go back to the 1700's?


19th October 2014

Hey great pics... Looks like you guys are having a wonderful time.. Tell Elke be careful she might go back in time and meet Jamie lol... Have fun... Love these blogs!! Xo

Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 71; dbt: 0.2113s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb