Day 1- Milngavie to Drymen


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Stirlingshire
June 28th 2014
Published: June 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 of our West Highland Way adventure Team Happy Feet arrive at Milngavie raring to go…….to the toilet!!! The conductor told us that we should ask at the office of the train station for entry to the toilet Alan asked at the office to be told press button at side of toilet door. Jenny in desperation rushed in front of the rest of us to use toilet first. Struggling with the automated door she finally placed her bottom proudly on the throne only for Alan to mischievously press the button on outside, opening the door revealing Jenny sat in all her glory with Bridget Jones pants round her ankles to a train load of passengers on platform.



Afterwards we dropped off our luggage with the travel company, Travel Lite and they allowed Alan to fill his bladder (the one for holding water in the rucksack) as it didn't occur to him to fill it before leaving. Meanwhile, Jenny was having problems with her bladder. NO matter how hard she sucked on the pipe, nothing came out. Eventually she realised that a little biting was required and all was good. We were ready to go!



The initial path was quite busy with walkers of different nationalities. Very quickly, one by one, they over took us until we were the stragglers. After about 3 miles and dodging an infestation of tiny frogs crossing the pathways, we had our first break. No pee pee poncho required. Bushes were aplenty. We were underway again and after some decent photo opps, we arrived at Beech Tree Inn for our official lunch stop. Here we're earned our first fruit juice (of the alcoholic kind) after 7.5 miles. While eating in the braw beer garden, a man of the odd variety appeared at the table next to us. He appeared to be walking the way wearing a suit and shoes! We set after an hour, noticing that this man was now walking a bit ahead of us. By this point we were walking along a path where the most avid fans of weeds and nettles would have been in their element. But wait - where's that man gone? Is he hiding, waiting to pounce on us? Oh – nope there he is, appearing from nowhere! What's in his bag? According to Jenny – a head waiting to be dumped where no one will find it.



Are we there yet? We appeared at a bridge – Jenny was having trouble with sucking the pipe and was a bit distracted. So much is that she didn't notice the uneven path. Crash – she hit the ground, is her ankle busted? We hope not! Nope all is good – she manages back to her feet after a bit and is ready to keep going. We cross the bridge and turn the corner. There he is! The man! Staring blankly at us in his fine black suit as we pass by, ascending a steep single track road. We see a sign. Drymen 2.5 miles – almost there! We Look back – he is on the move again but is a bit behind us. We look back – he is closer, he has sped up! We begin a power walk before establishing the plan to use the pee pee poncho and a trowel as a weapon if needs be. It wasn't needed – we ploughed ahead before making it to Drymen and the Braeside B&B. gorgeous wee rooms and lovely owners who were even kind enough to sponsor us. The prosecco was opened to celebrate the first 12 miles and we are now heading for dinner before tomorrow's adventures begin.the country air clearly had an effect on Alan and Jenny. Watch this space!



Follow team Happy Feet AKA Wee Lamb, Princess, Bridget & Yorkie for more fun filled adventures tomorrow.



SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE TO SEE ALL OF TODAYS PHOTOS


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



28th June 2014

Sense of humour
Well done, day 1 completed and still enough energy to write about it with humour :) Enjoy a good sleep and fingers crossed for a successful day 2 x
28th June 2014

Day 1 and you made me laugh out loud! See you tomorrow :) xx
28th June 2014

Your First Day
Looks like you have got off to a great start, well apart from Jenny and her ankle! Your blog made me laugh. Well done everyone - hope the weather stays dry for you and keep away from the man in the suit! X.
28th June 2014

Bull in a China Shop!!!
Clumsy Jenny strikes again! Hope you're ok after your fall xx
29th June 2014
image

Happy Feet
Hope the feet still happy today. Well done guys. X
29th June 2014

The glass ankle
Stop kidding on & pulling the old glass ankle routine lol, at least you got a soft landing when you went down and landed on your bum lol
29th June 2014

Well Done
Enjoyed reading your blog, sounds like you are having fun! Well done! :)

Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb