A couple of castles


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Stirlingshire » Stirling
May 27th 2013
Published: June 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 56.1194, -3.93588

Wed been spoiled with excellent weather over the weekend. However today, bank holiday Monday was not to follow suit. Rain, wind and cold awaited us as we left the Holiday Inn around 9.30. The main attraction of the day would be Sterling Castle. New to all four of us on this roadtrip. Similar to Edinburgh, Sterling castle towers over the town on an imposing cliff ledge. Once inside its walls, we elected to join a free guided tour around the castle grounds. This guide was absolutely excellent. Well spoken and easy to understand (unlike many Scots to Australian ears), and an absolute wealth of information. We explored courtyards, Royal Apartments, the chapel of the coronation of Mary Queen of Scots, the Great Hall, museums and vaults. Despite the persistent rain we still managed to keep relatively dry and capture many excellent photos.
Its mid afternoon now and we are Southbound heading back towards England, some 50 miles from the border.
It wasn't long before we had crossed back into England. Time was getting on, around 3.30pm but we decided to make a break for Bamburgh Castle. Joe dropped us off at the gate, and we had about an hour to explore the castle. It was enough time, and we werent to be disappointed. Like Sterling, this castle towered above the area. Built right on the beach, it gave a different feel and spectacular views. Originally built in the 11th century, it fell into ruin twice, rebuilt partially in the 16th and 18th centuries. This gives it an interesting mix of architectures and styles. It has been well maintained and just different to the other castles we had seen. We spent most of the time exploring the interior, the Royal Apartments, hall, dungeon and archeology museum all very interesting. I loved the countless secret passages, narrow corridors and winding stairs found throughout.
Well we've found Joe and Maureen and now we are back on the main freeway back to Durham. We've a couple full days left in these parts before embarking on our first cruise. We catch a bus late Thursday overnight, bound for London and then Southampton where our cruise departs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lord and Lady of the HallLord and Lady of the Hall
Lord and Lady of the Hall

Nat and I in the seats of King James V and his consort Mary of Guise. Sitting in the seats of my English (Hoban) and Nats long distant French (Slane) connections? Haha
Roof Royal ApartmentsRoof Royal Apartments
Roof Royal Apartments

Scottish royals on the roof


28th May 2013

Loved all your photos of up North - brought back a lot of lovely memories of great places we went to with Joe and Maureen! You'll be feeling a little sad to depart even though you have more great adventures ahead of you!
28th May 2013

Yeah its been a great mini adventure. I was saying the same to Nat the other day. For all weve done so far we have barely scratched the surface of what is to come.
28th May 2013

This is gorgeous!
3rd June 2013

Hahahahaha
3rd June 2013

Have been there with my parend and brother, a few years ago :)

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb