Return Trip to Stirling


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Stirlingshire » Stirling
July 22nd 2012
Published: July 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early to a nice half sunny half cloudy day, after a quick breakfast we set off to Stirling to get our guided tour of the old town jail. We were greeted at the door by a grumpy old warden who lead the very funny but informative tour around the lower level cells in the jail. After some free time to wander around ourselves we went upstairs to see the upper level cells where a female tour guide showed us around. The tour explained the old jail times when men, women and children were all imprisoned and the female prisoners were responsible for cooking, cleaning, laundry and sewing within the jail while male prisoners were kept in their cells aprat from a 15 minute exercise time on the roof. The jail got deemed the worst jail in Scotland so it got refurbished and was used as a military prison, so this jail has evolved with the times. It is now a great attraction to take a step back in time.

After we got out of jail free we all went for pizza and a drink. Alex and Chris decided to go do some jobs so Shane and I went to meet my Aunt Norma, husband John and son Tom.

We met them at the Wallace Monument in the café for tea and cake. It was great to chat with them as its been a while since Karla’s seen them. Once we were finished chatting Shane and Karla took the minibus up the hill to the monument. 246 steps later we were at the top and admiring the breathtaking views of Stirling and surrounding areas. It was very windy and drizzly at the top of the monument but we enjoyed it none the less.

On our way down the monument we looked at exhibits before heading back to Alex and Chris’s house.

It was a relaxing night in front of the tv.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb