Sept 19/11


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Ross and Cromarty » Tain
September 19th 2011
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A little bit more relaxing day today. We didn’t have to be anywhere today, since we’re staying here for 2 nights. We did a geocache in town that consisted of multiple places you had to go to collect information to find the cache. This took us around the immediate vicinity of the Castle Hotel and got us acquainted with the local history. After finding the cache in a local wooded area, we walked around the residential section of town and saw the Golf Course. Engineered by Donald Ross, it’s one of the first around and brought tourism to this little place in the early 1900’s. We went through a small museum in town full of little artifacts from the Norse to the Jacobites, Witch Trials to Priests. Incidentally the castle we’re staying in was the Bishop’s palace. Across the road is a Church that was constructed by the Bishop Gilbert with his own money. We then had lunch in a little café and headed off to find a geocache on a walking path just outside of town. After that we drove to the site of another cache placed near a lighthouse on Tarbat Ness. The road to the lighthouse got very narrow in spots sometimes barely wide enough for our little car, but the countryside was spectacular and filled regularly with sheep farms. The cache site was overlooking the ocean so we got some great shots of the coastline. The path back from the lighthouse was lined on each side with what I think is a Briar Patch. We also saw quite a few Peter Cottontails. On the way back to Dornoch, we picked up another cache in Portmahomak, bringing to 4 our total for the day. We have an 18:30 dinner reservation in the castle dining room so we are relaxing with some wine until that time. Tomorrow we head for Kildrummy Castle.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb