Ullapool to Kyle of Lochalsh, Scotland


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 57.2843, -5.71552

As we were leaving the town and came around a bend in the road along the water of Loch Broom, a huge gust of wind blew us across the road a bit. It felt like a semi went past us. It startled everyone! We passed many hills and valleys, streams and heather (some finally coming into bloom!), and of course sheep. We went passed a reservoir that was very low. Scotland has had the driest winter since 1941, so many of the reservoirs and lochs are low. Also, since we are going out into the “boonies” the road that we are traveling on is mostly a one lane road. That means about every 1/10th of a mile, there is a turnout for us or the other vehicle coming the other way to pull off onto. A couple of times the bus driver had to stop quickly and then the other vehicle has to back up to the previous turn out. One time it was another touring bus. About 3:18 p.m. we went past Loch Doughall and then saw a nice waterfall on the hill near Coulag. We skirted around half of Loch Carrann which took almost 30 minutes. We got to the top of one of the hills at one end of the loch and got out to take a picture. Many of the people stayed on the bus due to the misty rain and 58º F temperature. We got another stop about 4:15 for 15 minutes at town Kyle of Lochalsh, which is right before you cross over the bridge to the Isle of Skye. It was blowing hard by the water. To get to the restrooms from where we parked one had to climb some concrete stairs. I swear the wind almost carried me up them as I climbed them. Then to my surprise one had to pay 20p (20 pence or pennies) to get into the restroom! There was a man in a ticket like booth that took your money and then you went through a turnstile to go into your section of the restroom. Some of the ladies on the bus said this was normal in the other countries of Europe. By the time we crossed over to the Isle of Skye it began to live up to its Gaelic name which means “Island of Mists,” but what we encountered were not mists. Heavy rains and wind buffeted us almost all the way to Portree.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 17; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb