A trip to Callanais Stones, West Lewis and back to Stornoway


Advertisement
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Stornoway to Callanais< lewis


Callanais StonesCallanais StonesCallanais Stones

West Lewis, the main central stone circle, it links to many other stones nearby
bike stats:

time cycling: 4 hours 13 minutes
travelled 39.4 miles
average speed 9.3mph
max speed 30.7mph

Today was still pretty wet and windy. We planned to do a circular trip west out of Stornoway to the Callanish Stone Circle and Carloway Broch on the west coast.

We initially got a bit lost on the road out of Stornoway on the road back to Tarbert and struggled against very strong headwinds for a few miles before turning back. The actual turning we needed was cunningly disguised as an industrial type place!

Once on the right road we were straight out into beautiful moorland and bogland scenery full of hills. Whoever said Lewis was flat was lying - ravens and eagles swooped around near the road.

Unfortunately as I cycled I became aware of a twinge on the outer part of my right knee and it became progressively worse as the ride went on.

We reached the Callanish stones and I got off my bike to take some shots and as I started walking the knee became extremely painful. The Callanish stones are really cool and rather photogenic. They are supposed to be older than the pyramids and Stonehenge and you can see other smaller stone circles quite closeby.

Due to my knee we decided to backtrack the way we came, using the tailwind to help push us along. We stopped briefly at this bench that was surrounded by rock to cook up a lunch of noodles. From there we could see beautiful views over the Lewis bogs back south to the mountains of Harris.

We returned to camp for a third night at the campsite in Stornoway. Prefer wild camping but I suppose at least we get some facilities like showers and toilets. The sun had come back out by the time we got back. A bit worried about the knee though and a bit upset as this means I can't really do any more cycling.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Andy, LewisAndy, Lewis
Andy, Lewis

somewhere on the Lewis moorland between Stornoway and Callanais
LewisLewis
Lewis

Andy on the road from Stornoway to Callanais
LewisLewis
Lewis

view from the road on Lewis back south towards the mountains of Harris


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb