In Search of Family History


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Perthshire
September 9th 2011
Published: September 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ah, Scotland, land of mist and gentle rain...
Yes, today the weather turned on us, so the only thing to do was do a late check-out from our Perth hotel after watching the opening of the Rugby World Cup and the first game. In appreciation of the AB’s win, the rain eased a little and we began a short drive that took us first to Dundee. There we saw through the mist the long bridges over the River Tay, one road and the other rail. Captain Scott’s ship “Discovery” is moored at Dundee, back where it was built in 1900.
A few kilometres on we came to Broughty Ferry. This small town on the Firth of Tay is where a great great grandfather lived and worked as a bank manager a very long time ago. Armed with the address of the house and directions, we soon found the property well hidden behind a high stone wall. A substantial house still standing proudly, it appeared to have been converted into flats, perhaps. In order to get a picture of more than the roof, today’s official photographer made a sprightly ascent of a wall over the road and was rewarded with a photo showing a good portion of the house.
Leaving Broughty Ferry we drove through the centre of Carnoustie. There was no particular reason for going to Carnoustie than the sound of its name. Our readers might be able to help us out with some reasons why Carnoustie might be famous. We made a brief stop at Arbroath. The most common building material appears to be red sandstone. From our parking spot we took a walk through the ruins of Arbroath Abbey and along the main street of the town centre. A police cordon had been put up on a side street with the locals taking a great interest in what it was all about. Perhaps it will be on Scottish news tomorrow pushing Scotland’s win at the Rugby World Cup to the back pages.
By this time the drizzle had stopped completely and we continued on our way, calling in at Montrose and Forfar before heading back towards Perth and the search for our next hotel. Attentive readers will be asking why we need a new hotel for our second night in Perth. It’s all about the money and in this case it was cheaper to change hotels than stay a second night at a greatly increased price. We are so used to packing up and leaving hotels that this was no hardship at all, even though tonight’s abode proved elusive for some time. Finally the puzzle was solved, so after a good meal we are planning tomorrow’s meanderings as we make our way further north to Aberdeen.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb