LOCH EARN & STIRLING


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Perthshire » Callander
July 31st 2010
Published: August 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Loch Earn is a place that Andy can remember coming to as a child to fish from a jetty. When we reached the jetty we noticed that it had deteriorated somewhat but I suppose the same could be said of Andy in the thirty years since he had last visited.

Driving around the loch it was obvious that there were plenty of fish. Every available spot was taken. Hundreds of tents and caravans were pitched loch side for a spot of wild camping. This is quite common in Scotland. On many of our trips out we have noticed tents pitched in woodlands with people sat around campfires. Maybe we will give this a try when we return.

Later in the day we visited Stirling. On our arrival we were greeted by boarded up houses and abandoned cars. This was not the best start to our visit and not a very good advert for luring passing trade. As we looked further we noticed that sat on top of a rocky hill surrounded by moody black clouds stood the Wallace Monument. It looked so spooky that it could have been home to a Transilvanian count. It seems ironic that the tenants who once occupied the ugly estate would have gazed up at a work of such outstanding architectural beauty.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.38s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb