Harris


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Outer Hebrides
May 14th 2012
Published: May 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Last night we were pit up in Portree by a nice chap called Andy, who told us later that it was not his house but he was just house sitting for a friend who was spending a month in Kendal with his daughter. We were a bit worried about the situation, especially when the dogs started barking at 10.30pm, and who should appear but the owner, with Andy neatly ’tucked in’ for the night. We had to hurriedly tell him who we were and settle his anxiety- phew! All went well, thankfully.
The morning saw ,much better weather, but as we climbed out of town we hit heavy showers and the cape had to go on again. We made a brief stop at the campsite half way up the hill to meet Steve Lee with his tent and then on our way again into the hills,leaving Steve to head South on his bike. The scenery was very rugged and pleasant but the hills were really tough and we eventually arrived in Uig after 35 miles,and no stops, feeling rather battered. A quick lunch and onto the ferry with some motorcyclists from Halifax, who were going anywhere their bikes would take them. We also had a conversation with an Irish couple who amazingly know one of my neighbours, Pat O'Donnell, from his visits to Ireland. Tonight we are to stay in a B&B 8 miles from Tarbert ,on special terms as a result of the article about us in the Stornoway Gazette last month, it is called Lochedge,7 Marig, Nr Tarbert, Harris and is run by Cindy and Richard Barrett 01859502476. Richard even cycled to meet us at the quayside and lead us to Lochedge. What a place - beautiful - I would recommend it to anyone, sheer quality. It is a new build and is heated by an underground heat pump and solar panels and is state of the art on eco design. Upon landing in Tarbert we had a really nice surprise when we docked to see Jean and Terry Fleming, who are friends of my sister Josephine. They are currently staying in a cottage 5miles away and had come specially to greet us and help us with our sponsorship. We have now received £170 from casual donations and the ’just giving’ keeps rolling in, splendid. We have now done around 700 miles and 20 islands. So many I am becoming confused and have to look at my blog and camera to remember each one. I am just off now to have my evening meal, the thought of which is making my mouth water. Just had meal, top class.Goodnight.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb