Conference starts


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
September 13th 2016
Published: October 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Because I'd registered the day before I didn't have to be at the conference until almost 10:00am. With my day set, Roger again set off to explore and take pictures.

The best speaker of the morning was a mother from a tiny town in Ireland whose son was diagnosed with Autism at 20 months, 22 years ago. Her story is a wonderful example of why I started Respite, Inc. The international conference shows how much of the world recognizes the benefits of such programs. The venue was built in the late 1700s and is tastefully elegant.

The workshops that followed weren't nearly as motivating. I was disappointed in the one presented by two national organization representatives from the USA. Other sessions were worth attending. The conference finished for the day about 4:30.

I took a longer way back and found a few items to take home. Back at the apartment we got ready for the Gala Reception for delegates of the ISBA (International Short Break Association) Conference. Suggested attire was "smart casual." That's nicer than short and flip flops, but lesser than a formal gown or tux. It was held at the National Museum of Scotland.

It had sprinkled on and off all day, continuing for the night. We took a cab to the dinner and were offered champagne upon entering. At 8:00pm dinner was announced and we went upstairs. Tables were set up for ten. Five of us chose Table #15. Another group of five (four women and one man) was nearby and I suggested they sit with us so Roger wouldn't be the token guy. The group was from Canada and shortly after introductions their guy showed Roger a picture of his BMW Paris/Dakar motorcycle. The guys talked for the rest of the evening.

The eight women became better acquainted and talked about respite/short breaks. Someone mentioned the nominees for President in the USA and politics is still a subject not discussed over dinner. One not-from-Canada woman naively stated, "Hilary has been in politics for so long. Why would she stay if she didn't care?" It was time to redirect the topic.

The gala lasted until midnight, but Roger and I made our farewells by 10:30pm. Another cab back to our door to the street and we were done for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb