And a Little More of Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
August 12th 2012
Published: September 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

August 12

We started our day with a hearty home-cooked breakfast to fuel our hike up Arthur’s Seat. The summit is 250 m high and the sun sure was beating down on us as we hiked up! The climb was well worth it as we enjoyed phenomenal city and water views, as well as a lunch on the top. We then descended and climbed the second peak to get some other perspectives of the view. Much to Bryan’s dismay, we then took in Palace of Holyroodhouse which is right next to Arthur’s Seat and at the opposite end of the Royal Mile from the Edinburgh Castle. This Palace is the official residence of the Monarch of the U.K. in Scotland; the Queen spends one week here at the beginning of each summer carrying out official engagements and ceremonies. It was pretty surreal to walk through rooms which are not only historic in nature, but used in the present by the Monarch.

We then walked back up the Royal Mile and stopped for a bevy in Bank Hotel, which was originally a bank, built in 1923. After refueling with dinner at our apartment, we set off for a late night Hidden and Haunted walking tour. This tour told about everything “from fiendish plots that led to treason and torture; to secret lives that lead to burning and bestiality. You’ll discover the more disreputable character, and characters, of Edinburgh’s dark closes.” Much of the tour was spent in underground vaults by candlelight. Hanna may have been possessed by a man ghost.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb