Day Four - It's About Time We Went Inside That Bloody Castle


Advertisement
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
December 27th 2009
Published: February 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I'm sort of looking forward to getting out of Edinburgh and into the Bed and Breakfasts we booked for the remainder of the trip. It's too easy to sleep in when you're not worried about getting downstairs to breakfast before they close it up. Once again we slept in a little longer than we normally would. This has helped us adjust more easily to the time difference, but it also makes me feel like... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Why Can't I Find Some of This Stuff to Decorate My Playroom?Why Can't I Find Some of This Stuff to Decorate My Playroom?
Why Can't I Find Some of This Stuff to Decorate My Playroom?

I assume all these weapons are real. Probably never kept in this castle during their period of use. Most of the furnishings we see when we visit old European castles and estates are from the same time period that the building was in its heyday, but what they put in the rooms comes from elsewhere. Hundreds of years of Peasant Wars, revolutions and fires destroyed most of the genuine royal equipment.
A Piper Piping, Ladies Leaping and Tourists TouringA Piper Piping, Ladies Leaping and Tourists Touring
A Piper Piping, Ladies Leaping and Tourists Touring

I just like making them stand around in the rain for awhile longer while I composed this picture. The museum behind them was probably my favorite part of the castle that day.
The Weather Lets UpThe Weather Lets Up
The Weather Lets Up

Just as we were leaving the castle the clouds began to part. It reminded overcast the rest of the afternoon and grew colder, but at least the rain stopped. This view is from the Argyll Battery.
Looking NorthwardLooking Northward
Looking Northward

We could actually discern a few patches of blue across the Firth of Forth and up toward the Highlands where we would be driving the next day. Maybe things were looking up.
We Bought the Wrong PassesWe Bought the Wrong Passes
We Bought the Wrong Passes

After that long walk all the way down the Royal Mile, which incidently is actually a couple hundred yards longer than a mile, it was quite annoying to learn that those passes we bought at Edinburgh Castle would not also get us into Holyrood Palace. One is owned by the Scottish government and the other by the Queen. You'd think Lizzie would've let us sneek in for just a peek. Tyler and Grandma paid the admission and visited the palace. Gail, Cassie and I waited for them. We spent most of the next hour in the gift store, "The Queen's Gallery Shop". We didn't buy a thing.
Holyrood Palace EnvironsHolyrood Palace Environs
Holyrood Palace Environs

Once Tyler and Grandma went into the palace grounds we knew we had a pretty long time to try to keep ourselves entertained. I took a picture of the street in front of the entrance. Nobody was riding on the open upper level of that tour bus.
Holyrood Palace SnackbarHolyrood Palace Snackbar
Holyrood Palace Snackbar

Looking out from the giftshop that sheltered Cassie, Gail and I while Tyler and Grandma walked through the palace, you can see Arthur's Seat rising in the distance. It looks like a fort but as far as I know no castle or fortifcations were built there. I wonder why not. Wikipedia mentions pre-historic settlement and fortifications, but after that the hill that Edinburgh Castle rests upon became the center of habitation.
And Now Looking in Another Direction...And Now Looking in Another Direction...
And Now Looking in Another Direction...

Here we see the new Scottish Parliament directly across the street from Holyrood Palace. It was built by a Spanish architect, Enric Miralles and opened in 2004. It is a very open modern building. It actually looks a little like a Home Depot with all the goofy woode and metal pieces hanging off the side. I almost expected to see snowblowers and grills chained to the metalwork.
I'm Sorry, But This Is One Ugly BuildingI'm Sorry, But This Is One Ugly Building
I'm Sorry, But This Is One Ugly Building

The chain fences in front don't help the overall ambience, but I'm not sure anything could make this monstrosity look pretty. Considering what the building is used for maybe it is fitting that it's tough to look at.
A Sneal Peek at HolyroodA Sneal Peek at Holyrood
A Sneal Peek at Holyrood

Just because I was too cheap to pay to go in didn't mean I wouldn't take a few pictures of the royal palace. While Grandma and Tyler were touring I walked down the block to the huge gate that the important folks enter through and snapped a few shots. By now it was getting dark and once again I underexposed most of the pictures.
Definitely a Gated CommunityDefinitely a Gated Community
Definitely a Gated Community

I was hoping somebody important might drive through and see this shivering old waif peering longingly through the gates and perhaps toss me a farthing or tuppence. Nobody home.
They Must Think I Know Something or SomeoneThey Must Think I Know Something or Someone
They Must Think I Know Something or Someone

When I first walked over to this side of the palace I was all alone on a deserted side street. Within five minutes a group of Asians and another group of Middle Eastern types waltzed over and proceeded to stand in front of all my photos. Then the inevitable snowball fight began. Not wishing to become an easy target for centuries of anti-Western sentiment I walked back to the gift shop.
My Encounter with a Royal Pain in the PalaceMy Encounter with a Royal Pain in the Palace
My Encounter with a Royal Pain in the Palace

When Grandma and Tyler never reappeared from their tour, Cassie, Gail and I started back toward our hotel. Before we left the palace complex behind I ran back to a side of the huge fence that I neglected earlier. As I was taking this shut through the gaps in the fence some huffy bloke tapped me on the shoulder and pushed me aside as he brought out a set of keys that allowed him into the grounds. Probably the Master of her Highness' Champer Pots. Arrogant pillock.
I Love This CameraI Love This Camera
I Love This Camera

Who would've thought that after close to 1000 pictures I'd finally get a really good one! I don't remember what I did to get all these deep colors as well as a well-focused shot. I guess it just goes to prove that if you take enough shots something will come out right. This is the view up the hill we need to climb to reach our hotel. Cassie and Gail are waiting for me on the corner.
Not As GoodNot As Good
Not As Good

I didn't change any settings on the camera yet this one was out of focus. This ancient looking building is some sort of art shop on one side and a tourism office on the other.
Last Few Minutes of Shopping in EdinburghLast Few Minutes of Shopping in Edinburgh
Last Few Minutes of Shopping in Edinburgh

It seems the souvenir business does not rest during the Holidays or on a Sunday. It was after 5:00 on a Sunday night when we bounced into the souvenir store on the left. And here we found my "Red Hot Chili Pipers" CD significantly cheaper than any other store in town. The building in the center of the picture is a rather significant landmark - it's the John Knox House. This was the residence of the Father of Presbyterianism. A prominent Protestant leader under the reign of Edward VI, he was forced into exile when the Catholic Queen Mary came to the English throne. While in Switzerland he came under the influence of Calvinism. When he returned to Scotland, Knox caused Mary Queen of Scots all kinds of problems with his radical Protestant teachings. In fact, he was one of the loudest voices urging Elizabeth I of England to execute her cousin Mary. He got his wish.
Underage/OverageUnderage/Overage
Underage/Overage

While Gail was celebrating her entry into Senior Citizenship, Cassie was being carded because she didn't appear to be 16 years old to our bartender.
Playing with the PanasonicPlaying with the Panasonic
Playing with the Panasonic

While we sat at the table waiting for our food we grew bored and took turns playing with each others' cameras.
Yes, Gail Owns More Than One ShirtYes, Gail Owns More Than One Shirt
Yes, Gail Owns More Than One Shirt

In an effort to travel light yet stay warm, we dressed in layers most of the time. Gail's top layer was this green sweater. She assures me that what went on under that was changed daily. Whatever. I had my own room.
Scotland's National TreasureScotland's National Treasure
Scotland's National Treasure

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Sean Connery.



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 91; dbt: 0.1273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb