Edinburgh: A city of Age and Culture.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
July 23rd 2008
Published: July 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Edinburgh in Princes Garden! 121 secs
2: On Royal Mile 69 secs
A 6 a.m alarm call.

Wakey! Wakey!!

Oh, I hate waking up early on holiday but somebody's got to pack up again and it isn't going to be “The Small Young Gentleman”!

Today, we're going to Edinburgh.

I had pre-paid our fare via the internet with a bus company called megabus.com. The combined fare for us both ( from Glasgow to Edinburgh on a journey of 1 hour and 18 minutes ) was ₤5,00! A bargain if ever I saw one.

The journey was uneventful and indeed, people tended to commute between the two cities on a regular basis. We hadn't been able to use the Notebook so I had found a cafe at the bus station that enabled me "to connect" for about 20 minutes!

We left Glasgow at 09:30 and arrived Edinburgh at 10:48. We proceeded directly to the Tourist Information Office as I already knew that our B& B was near but not how to get there via public transport as somehow our luggage had gotten heavier. Already!

1,5 hours later.

No, don't ask!

Right. 1,5 hours later, we arrived at the “Tankard Guest House” which is a very nice small B & B.

Edinburgh is gorgeous. Its a city of old history and glorious battles. You breath in the culture as soon as you get in the city. History, blood, mystery, rocks and gore are all around you!

After a break of about an hour and a change of clothes 'cos it was hot in Edinburgh, we rushed outside and took in the sights!!

Our B & B is situated about 10-15 minutes from to the centre (walking distance ) and about 20-25 minutes from the Royal Mile where the Castle is situated. The B & B is also within a semi-circle of old 17th and 18th century building. At ₤40 a night ( shared bathroom with our neighbour next door which wasn't occupied ) a dream!!!

We rushed outside and took in the sights. I had been to Edinburgh about 3 times but it was more than 10 years ago and things must have changed!

We walked around our B & B which was pretty posh and residential with the virtue of being near tourists sights. Lots of old churches nearby and not a curry house in sight! Then plan was to go to the Castle, the Scotch Whisky Visitor Experience, the Royal Mile, the National Museum of Scotland, the 3D Loch Ness Experience and the Edinburgh Dungeon.

After lunch at “Greggs Bakery” of beef pie, sausage roll and chocolate cake, we went to Princes Street. Princes Street surrounds the Edinburgh Castle and runs into the Princes Street gardens which used to be a moat filled with water. In fact there's a museum nearby called “The Museum on the Mound”.

We popped into various alleyways and had a good look at some of the historical buildings and monuments whilst making our way to Edinburgh Castle via the National Gallery. Its a bit of a hike but well worth the effort!

The Royal Mile is the well-worn route via Cannongate, Cowgate, North and South Bridge, Grassmarket, Kings Stables Road, Lawn Market, Castle Hill, and the Mound itself! Along the way, shops abounded and lured us in filled with Scottish clothing, kilts, food and drink. I was tempted to buy "The Small Young Gentleman" a Scottish T-shirt. We stopped at the Tartan Weaving Mill and Exhibition where one could see how tartan, kilts and Highland costumes were made and woven according to tradition. We were also party to a bit of bag piping. After this, we went to Edinburgh Castle. Unfortunately, it turned out to be far more expensive than expected and so we stayed within the grounds and didn't go right in!

I'd seen it before so I wasn't too upset and “The Small Young Gentleman” was not too bothered either!

We had a quick look around the premises of “The Scotch Whiskey Experience” which again, I had done a decade before ( showing my age here. Ahem!! ), and then on to the “3D Loch Ness Experience” which is situated on the Royal Mile itself. The 3D film centers itself on the mystery and natural history of the Loch Ness. Retold by the Scottish scientist Adrian Shine, visitors could listen to the tale using headphones in their own language. 25 minutes and ₤8.45 later, we came out blinking into the sunshine and straight into the circle of street entertainers and exhibitionists.

Sadly, I had forgotten that the best time to go to Scotland was actually in August during the very famous Fringe Theatre, Book and Music Festivals. All of the things I'm very much into.

Aaaaaahhhh!!!!

A reason to come back perhaps?

Sooner rather than later or at Hogmanay ( New Years' Eve ) or Burns Night ( January 25th ). It would be cold yes but with whisky being plentiful and at hand, hardly a punishment!!!

The Edinburgh Dungeon is the Scottish version of the London Dungeon. Its next door to Waverley Bridge and is filled with history's horrible bits with live actors, an eerie ride, shows and special effects like the 1646 ghost of Mary Kings' Close who was murdered and accused of being a plague victim, the passion of Scotland's warrior hero - Sir William Wallace - about the glory of victory against England at the battle of Stirling Bridge, the 1824 Edinburgh Great Fire, the missing 10 year old drummer boy, torture and pain and our favourite and most scary item, the cannibalistic family of Sawney Bean.

Let's just say I held tightly, very tightly, to my son!!!

I managed to get a ₤5.00 reduction fee each for us both and thus paid just ₤12.90 for our tickets!!

In order to cut down on costs, we shared a burger meal for dinner and availed ourselves of the free WIFI service at Burger King!

What a long day.

Good Night!



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



27th July 2008

Polish Community
Hi Victoria, thanks for your interesting travel guide about scotland.I hope you and Svetlan have a great time in Scotland Is it true,that arround 1 million Polish people are living in Scotland as "guest workers"? And they are the third biggest community in Scotland right now? Do you see some influence of the Polish people? - Greetz André
2nd August 2008

Polish community
Hi Andre, Thanks for reading my blog! I can't say that I really saw any Polish people except for domestic staff but I do know that they have more opportunities in the UK than in Germany and they are welcomed with open arms!

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1007s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb