Unique experiences


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
June 2nd 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

I have just returned from a short break with my children, 15, 13 and 6.

Always on the look out for a new experience we really went for it this time!!

2 nights in a Tipi, in Berwick on Tweed, enjoying the opportunity to experience the life of a native American. The tipi was far more spacious than I had anticipated, offering a great retreat from the blustery damp weather often associated with Northumberland in May. We were lucky with the weather with only the 1 day of rain, and then the odd scattered shower.

On site were as expected, a shower block, which was clean and spacious. There was also a kitchen, well equipped to unable families on the site to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner. Although we were only staying for a couple of days before moving on, so we did not have the opportunity to try it out. It would be ideal for those staying longer, therefore cutting the cost of eating out!!

No loud groups disturbed our sleep, and friendly neighbors made the trip. With views onto the coast, and the beach within easy walking distance, the stay was all that we had hoped.

Moving on to the second part of our visit, and understandably the highlight!! A one night stay in a Castle!!
We had booked 2 rooms in the Gatehouse at Borthwick Castle, situated 13 miles outside of Edinburgh. The arrival to the small hamlet of Borthwick was breathtaking, the weather fantastic, and the welcome that awaited us will stay in our hearts for ever. I am sure that the boys will always recall the stay in this medieval castle.

The Gatehouse was and is ideal for families with parents and children housed independently in the castles own Gatehouse, a short walk from the main castle building, so we felt secure having the children in their own room. Dinner was served in the Great Hall, and the castle offers 2 options fro the children, a children's menu, typical of any children's menu across England and Scotland, but a popular choice, and then a half portion option from the main menu, for the more adventurous children!!

After dinner guests mingle around the large open fire at the bottom of the great hall to be regaled by the castles staff with the history of the castle, and a few ghost stories too a little later I am told!! (Thankfully after we had taken the children off to their beds!!) And a tour of the castle itself too.

The character of the castle is still retained with the raw stone walls, and the weaponry adorning the walls, making any ghostly tales more believable!!. An early morning stroll around the grounds, up the driveway to the church, was therapeutic, peace and quite prevailed, birds singing the dawn chorus, and a multitude of young bunnies scurrying for cover as our footsteps approched. With breathtaking views across the valley
it was a lovely lead to breakfast before leaving the castle fro out return home.

Following this how can we improve on the experience for our next break. Any ideas?

Advertisement



4th June 2008

Borthwick Castle
I have also stayed at Borthwick Castle. The atmosphere within the castle was amazing. I also stayed at Castle Law, which is also an exclusive use castle on the west coast of Scotland. We were offered a great price (2000 pounds for a whole castle for a whole weekend) for 14 of us. We booked both of these through Celtic Castles and are now looking at staying in another castle but maybe Ireland this time.
10th June 2008

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Borthwick Castle. castle Law looks awesome, maybe I will look into this for my husbands birthday. I nice get together with family and friends. Thank you for your help. If you are looking for a castle stay in Ireland what about Fitzpatrick Castle, close to Dublin, we stayed there a couple of years ago now, fantastic location and loads of history!!
11th June 2008

Ill take a look at Fitzpatrick Castle. Thanks! Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
16th June 2008

Hi, I have also stayed at Ballyhannon Castle with some friends. It is a self catering property, and can only be booked for a minimum 3 nights, however the experience of staying in a castle, on your own is truly memorable. You really do feel like the lord of the manor!! If you can get together with family or friends it is the ideal location for a birthday celebration. If your numbers are higher than the 8 you can also book the Coachhouse too, which has a more modern feel, and just across the courtyard.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb