Edinburgh - A City of Contrasts


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
September 23rd 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ever since my first visit to Edinburgh, I have been fascinated by Arthur's Seat. It is a mountain in the middle of the city, which competes with Edinburgh Castle, if not dominates the Edinburgh skyline. And today was the day that I had picked to climb it.
Hannah and I set out mid-morning walking from her flat to the base of Arthur's Seat in the Holyrood Park. We gradually climbed up and around the mountain, taking in the views of Edinburgh and its surrounding countryside on our way up. The park is like an oasis in the middle of a city - once you start climbing up you begin to forget that you are in a city. Around every corner is a different view - a crag here or a lake there.
After determining that my fitness level had definitely not been improved with all my walking around Paris in the previous week, I finally made it to the peak of Arthur's Seat. Apparently people climb to this spot for New Year's Eve - but I would consider it quite miraculous if there has been any drinking involved - it is not the easiest climb and certainly would be really difficult in the dark!
After conquering the mountain peak, we stopped for a quiet lunch in a pub before catching the bus to Craigmillar Castle. This castle is a ruin, but in very good condition - many of the rooms are intact and we spent a long time exploring its nooks and crannies. This is the dream castle that as a kid would have been fantastic to play in - full of tiny little rooms, winding narrow stair cases, turrets and courtyards. I thoroughly enjoyed wandering through and discovering all the rooms and gardens. Definitely a must see for anyone who plans to come to Edinburgh.
On our way back home we took a slightly different pathway, which gave one of the best views of Edinburgh Castle that I have seen since arriving - I will post this picture for you all to see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb