Arrival


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
December 27th 2006
Published: January 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

TriptychTriptychTriptych

Three elements including the Scott Monument celebrating the achievements of a Scottish Poet.
Dear reader,

We got a bit restive with the idea of staying home between Christmas and the New Year (while Brett nor I were working, for a change), and so decided to arrange a last-minute trip to Edinburgh, just because.

We went up by train (about the same price, and similar time, and much easier than flying), following what the train proudly declared to be 'The Route of the Flying Scotsman'. Being the second day after Christmas, the train was packed and most of the seats were reserved, the only seats we could grab were in the canteen car. The couple opposite us were of the type documented by Bill Bryson as as 'away-from-home-Tupperware' couple. They entertained themselves for about three hours by periodically breaking out and then packing up new installations of food from their myriad collection of food containers in eskies and backpacks. Outside of the train, most of the trip looked out over Wuthering Heights style dark fog over rolling green fields with the occasional farmhouse and hedge. Sun broke through briefly about 10:45, north of Doncaster. I was facing in the the sun here - joy, as the sun never actually gets far above the horizon. It just skims along from the eastern side of the horizon to the western side of the horizon, before setting around afternoon-tea time.

I was interested to see Berwick-upon-Tweed (four hours plus into the trip, and still in England), a spot I had briefly visited with my great aunt 14 years ago. I saw a documentary featuring Berwick a few weeks ago - This spot was one of the most fought-over between England and Scotland for centuries. Queen Elizabeth the first, in the 16th century, made her most expensive outlay for defensive architecture here, ordering huge earthen walls be built around the river mouth. I couldn't be sure what was what from the train window, but it was entertaining pondering anyway. The view outside north of there was suitably mysterious. The entire view was grey on grey (except for vivid green paddocks) - the sky merged effortlessly with the sky with a smudging mist between.

If I can be permitted to ruminate a little longer, Scotland actually looks different to England. The countryside seems rougher and the buildings seem darker (smog? decaying sandstone? weather?).


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

EdinburghEdinburgh
Edinburgh

By night.


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb