St Kilda (work party 3) June 2006 Day 15


Advertisement
Published: September 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 15
This was to be our last full day on the island and with all work duties wrapped up, the day was to be used as we wished.I took off after breakfast ascending the road and on to Craig Mor,my intention was to walk over Mullach Bi and make tracks towards The Cambir.However this plan had to be revised when being attacked by very aggresive Bonxies, I beat a hasty retreat,on this occasion discretion being the better part of valour!! I then spent a very leisurely few hours making my way to Ruiaval frequently stopping to admire the birds in flight and watch the pounding sea below.On this walk I noticed in some of the cleits had nesting boxes placed in them.These had been put out by Sarah the seabird and marine ranger in hope of attracting Petrels (in Sarahs report on the St Kilda website, one of the boxes was in use by a pair, which then enabled her to study more about their breeding biology,a St Kildan first!)
On Ruiaval I was joined by Terry, Sue and James, we looked for the family of Eiders but they had gone and were probably down on the water.After spending quite some time around the summit trying to take in all the wonderful vistas and unique feeling of the place it was time to head back to the village where David had prepared a curry for dinner.
After dinner we were to take James's St Kilda "mailboat" for its launch.In times of need when the island was occupied and the populus wanted to contact the "outside world" the method that they used was to put their message in a small boat,cast it out to sea and hope that it would be picked up and read.This was a very hit and miss affair as there was no guarantee that it would ever be found.
The team made their way to the sea at the Point of Coll,the traditional launching place,a steep and slippery scamble,where it was hope the tide which was turning, would take the boat on its way. After placing it on the water it was soon taken by the current to who knows where.(It was later found in the nets of a trawler,which gave its position as 140 miles into the North Sea having travelled 346 miles from St Kilda,I hope the St Kildans had more success in times of emergency!)
After the launch it was time to go to the Puffinn for the last time.Above the bar is a ships bell that has a ringer shaped like a male genitalia,when rung it is a tradition that whoever rings pays,that is a round of drinks for whoever is in the bar.....this being the last night I couldn't resist the temptation and I bought everyone a drink for the Princely sum of £13.20 for over 20, people,being a Yorkshireman, I don't think I would have been so bold on the mainland!!!
The petrel heads were once again trapping and ringing the birds and had set up in the feather store and on finishing in the bar I went over to join them.This time I took plenty of photos and was allowed to release the birds after their data had been recorded,which I found quite humbling thinking of their lonely existance on the oceans of the globe.I turned in at 02.30 tired yet exhilarated.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb