Isle of Skye


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Words cannot describe how awesome this Isle is!!! On the way to the Isle we had a fantastic drive through the mountains, specifically the Five Sisters. We even had a chance to get some great pictures of deer, a buck and his doe. Passing into Skye we also got to see Eilean Donan castle which is just beautiful. We also got to see our first border collie while at the castle. After that , we pretty much saw them everywhere along the way.

Once on Skye, we headed to Talisker Distillery. What great whisky!! The whole area was nice and peaty and you could smell the peat everywhere you went. That great peat smell is also what made the whisky taste so fantastic.

From Talisker, we headed up to Dunvegan Castle. Unfortunately, it was undergoing some roof repair but we were able to get some decent photos. This castle belongs to the CLan MacLeod. We also found out while we were here that some MacDonalds also married into this clan.

From this point on we headed even farther north. This means seeing a TON more sheep including in our driving path and also having to drive on roads only wide enough for one car. So, you had to keep an eye out as far in front as you can so that you knew when to pull over tot he passing area to give the other car room. To add to this, it was nice and rainy. We slowly but surely made our way up to grave of Flora MacDonald and to see another old castle.

At that point, our trip on skye was over and it was time to head back to Inverness. Once back, we realized we had gone 300 miles in 11 hours thanks to the winding roads of Skye but what a drive!!!

We wrapped up our nite by having a fantastic dinner at THe Castle Tavern. We got to try some beer that was only available in Scotland, the Flora MacDonald ( a nice red ale) and Sean had the Tarnequan, a nice stout.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb