Isle of Skye - Scotland


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we need to catch a ferry from the mainland to isle of Skye so we got up around 8, quickly ate breakfast and were on our way. We went through the Cullin mountains and stopped at the Cullin river. Rocks and mini waterfalls with huge green mountains in the distance. Seriously, I love Scotland. They really know what's important in life - the natural beauty of outdoors and having a good time. It's a very laid back, rough and ready kind of culture. If that makes sense.
At Cullin River Neil told us about Scottish legends involving giants. It was a cute love story until all te sudden war breaks out in Ireland, the 'now a father' giant goes to fight in it and leaves his family without warning and eventually gets killed, years later, by his son. All Scottish stories end in tragity!
Neil also told us how the Cullin River is thought by some to be the fountain of youth origin, when a middle aged looking woman died suddenly and they found on her birth certificate that she was 76. So everyone except Chris and Mary stuck their head in the stream. We're such tourists. I love it. The water wasn't nearly as cold as I expected it to be.
We also stopped at Bonnie Prince Charlies' memorial and the train/bridge used in the Harry Potter movies for the Hogwarts Express. At the risk of sounding repetitive, the view was amazing. Right into the valley with a big loch right in the middle. To add to the spectacle the weather was fantastic. Clear blue skies with sprinkles of tiny clouds just to add tecture. We finally got to the harbor where we were catching our ferry. We were given our tickets by Neil, boarded and took our seats. I pulled out my mini deck of playing cards, again compliments of Nana, and we played the card game 'Ass hole'. I was amazed everyone knew the game and basically played the same way as we did back at La Salle. I did well. I was president or vice president every round.
We arrived in Skye and stopped at the supermarket to pick up some lunch. Kyle, Basel and I got cheeseburgers waiting for the ferry, but I got food at the supermarket any way. I got a quiche. It was nothing like the ones that mom makes. We ate in the little park looking out to the water. Marshy, seaweed infested land first. We all got back into the van and drove further north. We stopped at one of the most beautiful beaches i have ever seen. White, fine sand leading to crystal clear blue waters. Shore lines decorated with rocks and trees within dunes. One of which had a swing 😊 Great fun. We played frisbee, swung on the swings (Where Carly completely hit the tree and fell off. Thankfully she was okay... what a goofball.)) Dave took a really cool picture of me on the swing looking to the beach and everyone playing. I'm glad, I'm going to love that picture.
We got our things together and started heading to the pub/hostel that we'd be spending the night at. We placed our orders to what we'd want for dinner. I ordered the steak and Ale pie. It was delicious. good authentic Scottish dish that was washed down with a pint of Carlsburg. We got situated in our rooms. Mine was like a sauna. So hot, I don't know how I slept the night. Again, I was with the boys, but this time we had Pam in our room as well.
This hostel had the pub in the downstairs. So we stayed in. We watched the finals football (soccer) match between Manchester and Chelsea. It went into overtime and then penalty shots. Eventually Manchester won. Ronaldo, Paige's favorite from Manchester was the one to miss his penalty.
She must have been upset. For the rest of the night we listened to live music and played cards. 'Ass Hole', 'F*ck the dealer'... All the card games that my mother would cring at the names for. haha. I was 'Ass hole' or 'Vice ass hole' for most of the night. Kyle and Pam did the best.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb