Around Inverness


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Inverness
July 12th 2013
Published: July 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Culloden BattlefieldCulloden BattlefieldCulloden Battlefield

Terribly beautiful, given that this field once was the scene of an absolute slaughter.
Probably my favorite day so far, because of many reasons, such as awesome sights and locations, and absolutely beautiful weather. In fact, I was just talking to the lady who owns the bed and breakfast I'm at, and she said it's unseasonably hot for Inverness. Apparently this is an incredibly unpredictable area weather-wise, with it suddenly hot and then bitter cold, and then rainy - all in the same day. But today it held at a nice 75 degrees.

After another hearty Scottish breakfast, this time with porridge, I took a bus just outside of town to another very famous battle, Culloden. Hands down, this has been one of my favorite visits to a battlefield. Culloden took place in April of 1746, when Bonnie Prince Charlie as the Scots call him tried to regain the English throne, which had been lost to his family in 1688. He almost succeeded, making it nearly to London, but was then routed and forced back to Scotland, where he made one last stand in this peaty bog just outside Culloden. What happened was an absolute massacre of the Scots, with something like 1500 dead compared to 50 English. The Scots foolishly faced the English
Worst Area of BattleWorst Area of BattleWorst Area of Battle

Might look pretty now, but historians believe right at this spot the Scots met the English line. Shockingly, they also think 700 Scots died right here in 1 minute!! Absolute butchering.
in an open field.... swords against English cannon and guns. This battle forever destroyed Scotland, killing the clan system, even outlawing the bagpipe and kilts! It really is incredible, even to this day Scots talk about Culloden as if it just happened, lamenting the day when their lifestyle essentially ended. And here's a crazy thought: if Prince Charlie had won and reclaimed the throne, he probably wouldn't have gotten involved in the Seven Years' War, during which England taxed the American colonies, which ultimately led to the American Revolution. That is, if the Scots had won we might still belong to Britain!! That's why this battle is so significant across world history.

Next took a bus down Loch Ness to the famous Urquhart Castle. This is the deepest part of the lake, and apparently is where all the famous sightings of the "monster" have occurred. I mainly just thought is was extremely beautiful. Ness is actually the largest lake in England by volume, and it sits along a giant fault line. Some people think that's actually the reason for the monster... underwater shifting of the fault causes odd movements in the lake that can be easily mistaken for a monster. But that's too scientific for me. Monster or not, science can only explain so much (maybe science is the monster, always trying to explain?). Leave the monster for people's imaginations I say.

Tomorrow I head South, stopping by Glasgow en route to the Lake District. Should be a nice day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Moving Towards Stone MonumentMoving Towards Stone Monument
Moving Towards Stone Monument

Almost immediately following the battle in 1746, people have been coming here to visit the battlefield. A truly popular sight throughout the centuries.
Mass Clan GravesMass Clan Graves
Mass Clan Graves

The dead Scots were buried in mass graves separated by clan. Right here you can literally see a way of life ending.
The Dead Man's WellThe Dead Man's Well
The Dead Man's Well

Where a famous cheiftain fell. The well is to the left. Spooky to reach your hand down it.
Cottage at CullodenCottage at Culloden
Cottage at Culloden

Rebuilt to look like it did in 1746. 100 years ago they pulled a cannonball out of one of the walls. Served as a temporary hospital after the battle.
Loch Ness ViewLoch Ness View
Loch Ness View

Urquhart (ur-kurt) Castle you can see. This is the deepest area of the lake, and where Nessie supposedly lives.
Pretty View of Urquhart Pretty View of Urquhart
Pretty View of Urquhart

Actually blown up before Culloden because the owner didn't want Prince Charlie to have it.
Walking the LakeWalking the Lake
Walking the Lake

This end looks towards Inverness.
Where I'm StayingWhere I'm Staying
Where I'm Staying

The window that's cracked above the entrance is actually my room.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb