My First Holidays - Scotland - Fort William / Mis primeras vacaciones - Escocia - Fort William


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Fort William
August 27th 2008
Published: August 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Coming back from Ben Nevis, we did a stop in this colourful town along the banks of Loch Linnhe...

Fort William is the most important town in the Western Highlands, after Inverness acquired the status of a city, and it forms the natural centre of a very large area transitted by several roads and rail routes. Most visitors in the Highlands would need to drive through its dual carriageway along the banks of Loch Linnhe to be able to make it to several of their final destinations.

In 1690, William - Prince of Orange -, built a fort in the area which would give it its actual name.

The town is a recommendable stop for those travelling on a self-catering holidays, as the High Street has a reasonable amount of shops, small commerces, and supermarkets. It is also a useful stop if you need to withdraw some cash for your daily expenses as sometimes you may not be able to use your credit or debit card at several facilities.

To the north east of Fort William, you will find Ben Nevis, which is the highest mountain in the UK (1344m). The mountain can be accessed through Glen Nevis...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb