Sept 14/11


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Culloden
September 14th 2011
Published: September 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The sun came out today and brightened our spirits considerably. Our first visit was an interpretive centre near the site of the Last battle between the Jacobites and the Government Forces. Here is where Bonnie Prince Charlie and his army of Clansman that he gathered up from the Scottish highlands met the Government forces for their last battle after an exhausting march and a lack of food had already made them weak. It was a bloody battle and the Jacobites fought valiantly but exhaustion and bad conditions on the battlefield split their forces and the government forces were victorious, though many were lost. The government forces chased down every one of them who could still flee and killed the ones laying wounded on the field.
Next we headed to Pitlochery for lunch, then up out of town to the Edradour Distillery, the smallest distillery in Scotland who are known for their single malt whisky made the original way, by hand. They make in a year what some distilleries make in a month. The spirits are saved in oak barrels from Portugal that had sherry in them. They give you a wee dram to try, which means a shot. Prices for a 26er about L32.00 which is about $55.00 directly from the distillery gift shop.
Next we went to the Dunkeld Cathedral. Very old church. Staying at the Hilton Dunblane tonight. Internet too expensive. Upload is going to be later.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb