Ceres Highland Games


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Fife
June 30th 2012
Published: June 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have arrived! After some decent naps on the flight (except for Nigel), we made it to our new abode with ease! After unloading the car, Nigel caught some zzzzz's while the kids made quick friends with the neighbourhood kids and I started unpacking a little. Then, after the nap, it was a little tough to get going again but we managed to find our way to Ceres for their Highland Games!! And we are so glad we did!

The Games were especially fun because once we found a good place to park ourselves on the grassy knoll, we were able to simultaneously watch highland dancing to a live piper, heavies competitions (including tossing the sheaf, caber toss, shotput and 56lb weight throw over a bar), track events (running and cycling events for all ages), and the tug of war. All events were equally entertaining so it was hard to know where to look. Plus, we got to see the St. Andrews Pipe Band perform as well as the French Hunting Horn Band (from all over France) who were scheduled to perform at another nearby event which got cancelled so they arranged to perform at these games instead! Lucky us!

Scottish food - today we managed to cover off haggis eyes (square sausages with haggis in the centre), scotch eggs, and some Scottish beer.

We are trying to learn some Scottish: Scone (pronounced Skoon), Cupar (pronounced Cooper), and Ruraigj (the spelling on this one might be off - but it is somehow pronounced Roori). We are "making a right hash of it" all so far as the Scots would say!

Driving on the wrong side of the road has been a quick transition. The scenery so far has been quite picturesque. There were a few spatterings of rain today but it seems to pass over very quickly, at least today. Now it is time to get two nights worth of sleep in one night so we are all set for a full day tomorrow.

Nigel is not up to downloading any pics today so we will post some tomorrow. Ciao!

Advertisement



1st July 2012

safe arrival
Glad to hear you have arrived safely...................and already put in a full day at Highland games .....very ambitious......................and descent weather too ,sounds like .....I guess we'll tell by the pictures what the temperatures are like.................Have Fun love Mom

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb