North Berwick - some say "quirky" and I say AWESOME


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » East Lothian » North Berwick
August 14th 2017
Published: August 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

After a little drive through the village for blister medicine and a walk to the harbour where the Fringe Festival, an addition the the Edinburgh Festival, was taking place, we faced with another amazing day on the links. North Berwick has been described by many as quirky, others call it the best golf of the lot. Certainly Gracie has good memories as he shot 60 here. Playing the outward nine into a two to three club wind was no big deal for us, the "wind people from SFL".

The first offered a big landing area similar to the Old as the 18th shared the same space; but the second shot presented a different challenge - uphill to a half-blind landing area. The next three were also formadable as well. but our cameras were out as much as our drivers as the coastal layout was amazing. 8, 9 and 11 were all par-5's with the par-3 10th, a cute little 170 yard downhiller in between.

Then came the stone wall again with the green hugging next to it. Mike played the flop shot of the tour from the wrong side of the wall and narrowly missed his par. I took the lead for the first time in a day and a half and added another on the blind-second, 14th, called Perfection (aptly named). Mike then got up and down on the famous Redan, then leveled the game on Gate, the 16th with a huge valley dividing the front and back of the green - he two putted from there. Our matches, with handicaps adjusted up and down, have all be tight and ending with praise and handshakes - this one ended with both of us driving the short par-4, 18th, similar to the Old, ending in a draw! That made the Italian dinner that followed, extra special.

Note - as I am rushing though these, please except the content over the spelling. Liezl reminded me to edit.

???❤️⛳️

,


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb