Day 14 - Sunday 12 March - Sandend


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Banffshire
March 12th 2023
Published: March 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We woke really early this morning which was handy because today we left Rothbury and headed north, back into Scotland. We stopped off at a Morrison’s supermarket, our favourite, at Dalkeith, on the Edinburgh bypass, for some groceries and then continued, taking the long scenic way because we didn’t need to be at our accommodation till later in the afternoon. At Morrisons we bought a meal deal each where we got a choice of sandwich (which was really soft and fresh, and the roast beef was sooooo tender), a snack (I chose the millionaires shortbread, which is shortbread, caramel and chocolate) and a drink (we both chose Starbucks chilled coffee). We also stocked up on porridge, frozen curries, chips and cheese and crackers. The Sharwoods frozen curries are sooo good. They are for 1 but we share them.

We stopped off at Dundee, on the River Tay, for the lunch we bought from the shop, watching the trains go across the railway bridge. After lunch we drove to St Cyrus where Tom’s 2xgreats maternal grandmother lived in 1841 and 1851, and Peterculter where she was born in 1829 (she’s now buried in West Wyalong). She got on a boat to australia but her daughter and parents somehow went to America (we have DNA matches with their descendants). We also drove through Stonehaven and Dunnottar where Tom’s 3 & 4xgreats paternal grandparents lived (but no pics, took them in 1995).

The north has had good falls of snow too, and when we arrived at our cottage in Sandend we discovered snow still on the ground outside our back door. The cottage is very small but characterful. It is a restored fisherman’s cottage. We decided on some cheese on toast and chips for dinner. We bought Tom’s favourite salt and vinegar chips, but also some prawn chips (nothing like the ones in a chineses restaurant). They were really nice.





Tomorrow I’ll take some pics of this cottage.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb