Hebridean Isles Summary


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll
May 25th 2012
Published: May 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our last day on the isles was spent in a very lazy fashion, I think our engines had switched off because every hill we rode up seemed like Everest. However we managed to ride two laps of the island, a whopping 20 miles. On our first lap we saw two chough's flying across us and on our second lap we saw two corncrakes having a bit of a barney on the road. We managed to take some good photos of these. The bays were in great form with the sun being warm and luxurious. The sand was golden and the sea turquoise with craggy rock outcrops making a spectacle. It was the first time we have really been able to relax and we took advantage of being able to lie down listening to the gentle waves and the pleasant birdsong. Three hours before we left we could not believe our ears when we heard a Fire & Rescue siren. With there being all of about thirty cars on the island I would have thought it a bit OTT. Apparently they were rushing off to a heathland fire on the hillside where we had been two hours earlier. It was still raging away when we left and they were trying to prevent the fire from spreading to nearby houses.The whole trip has been a great adventure and has shown us what a jewel the Hebridean Islands are. We have had generally good weather, very cold in early May, which is quite common, with several days of rain and a severe gale with heavy rain whilst we were on Skye and a few days of lighter rain. The people we have met have been a great support to us and have in increased our faith in the kindness of the human race. We have raised money for Cancer Research and continued to raise awareness of the need to persevere with research. We do not know yet how much will be raised but expect it to accumulate to £2000 or more, thanks to all of you who have helped. Total collected from people on the route £365, making the total about £1500 to date. Once again, thanks to everyone. You made it worthwhile. We hope to arrive back in Waddington around 4pm tomorrow (Sat). Job done.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb