Highland Fling


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Oban
March 31st 2015
Published: April 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

IMG_7245IMG_7245IMG_7245

The Gatehouse, Ochtertyre
Today was a driving day for a taste of the Highlands.

Out through Dunblane and past Ochtertyre to see the 'gatehouse' where I spent the first part of winter '96/97 with my mate Bill. Not quite as grand as the big house 'Ochtertyre' - wasn't cheeky enough to drive past the guard to see the 14th century estate home, maybe next time though.

Scotland was putting on a grand show today, Dunblane - rain, Callandar - sleet, Crianlarich well into the Trossachs now - snow. Keep telling myself it is spring!!

The scenery through the Glens and past the Bens More and Lui is spectacular at the best of times but covered in snow with a few glimpses of sun on them and it is sensational. The light off the heather always has a red tinge that makes it look other worldly, something you never quite capture in photos so you'll have to come and see.

The other traditional stop driving across the Trossachs is the Green Welly, another spot that hasn't changed in the last 18 years, thank goodness. Was snowing last time I was here too I think.

The weather had come in with
IMG_7246IMG_7246IMG_7246

Strict security at Ochtertyre estate
a major cold front, in the mountains it was down at zero on the Hyundai i30 weather station and about minus thirty as soon as you put your nose out in the wind. And as soon as we got down out of the mountains on to the coast at Oban it became apparent that we were pretty well protected in the Glens because it was blowing about 60mph, and to think that Oban is a sheltered port!!

For lunch I decided to give the reindeer population a break and had fish at Ee-usk on the dock while watching the Atlantic trying to come ashore and the brave little harbour master boat go about his every day.

We took the scenic route home down past Loch Awe and Loch Lomond because the snow clouds were setting in over the higher peaks, didn't seem to stop the snow though.

Must say that the driving on these roads is interesting, narrow 'A' roads are still 70 mph and in the end you have to drive that fast otherwise you end up being bonnet fodder for all the BMW and Aston Martin on the way home from work - but good
IMG_7249IMG_7249IMG_7249

Bravery - just before it started blowing and snowing
fun!!

Big drive, so quiet night in.

Al and Tess


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

IMG_7258IMG_7258
IMG_7258

Spring drive - Highlands' style
IMG_7248IMG_7248
IMG_7248

Compulsory Loch photo Loch Lubnaig
IMG_7269IMG_7269
IMG_7269

Compulsory Ben photo at the Green Welly
IMG_7270IMG_7270
IMG_7270

Spring - two hours later
IMG_7253IMG_7253
IMG_7253

The Green Welly


Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb