Lazy Day in Oban


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Oban
October 8th 2019
Published: October 8th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today we were supposed to go on a boat cruise to the islands of Mull, Iona, and Staffa, but it was cancelled yesterday afternoon. Today was windy, cold and rainy, so cancelling was not a bad idea. The bay was full of whitecaps and farther out looked quite rough, too.



So we slept late, dawdled over showers, and only left the flat when it was time to go eat lunch. Helen wasn't feeling well, so she and Faye went to the soup shop while Sara and I headed to the waterfront for seafood at the fish shack. It was a good choice on our part as I ate prawn cocktail and Sara had a smoked salmon sandwich and 4 fresh oysters. Afterwards we met Helen and Faye at a coffee shop for dessert and COFFEE.



Later Sara, Helen and I went to McCaig's Tower on a hillside above the town. John Stuart McCaig, a wealthy banker, designed it loosely based on the coliseum in Rome. It was supposed to be a monument to his family with an arched wall surrounding a tower. He died in 1902 before the tower was built. The wall remains with 2 rows of arches, 50 in the top row and 49 in the bottom. It is now used as a public garden with wonderful views of the town, the water and nearby islands.



Sara and Helen then went to the distillery for a tour, but they were too late for the final tour.



Sara, Faye and I went to supper and ate fresh seafood again. Poor us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



8th October 2019
McCaig's Tower

McCaib’s Tower
What a beautiful place!
8th October 2019

great pics as always, Charlie!! Hope your knee is hanging in there.
9th October 2019

Oban
Wow, the weather does look rough, glad you were able to get to McCraig’s Tower, beautiful pictures!!!
9th October 2019

Weather
What a bummer, sounds like it was a respite though for your knee?

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb