Around Loch Leven (note previous blogs are also now available)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Kinlochleven
June 30th 2015
Published: June 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

30 June Woke to a warm day and sunny sky and visibility across the Loch was magnificent. We decided to explore around Loch Leven and headed south just a few miles and took a B road towards Kinlochleven. We made several stops to take photos and enjoy the magnificent vies at shore level and looked in awe at the huge mountains on the other side.

We soon arrived at Kinlochleven, a small town but with good facilities although it did look a little on the tired side. The visitor centre had an exhibition about the aluminium industry and the power station which uses water from a reservoir high in the mountains to generate electricity. There was a choice of walks and we opted for the 2 hour one to the small dam. We should have guessed that it would be largely uphill but nevertheless we pushed on until we reached the dam. We met with quite a large number of walkers doing the West Highland Way and one lad I n particular who was from Iceland and who has been coming to Scotland every year since 2007 to walk and ride his bike. He purchased the bike in his first year here and leaves it at the bike shop until he returns the next year. Quite a good arrangement.

The climb was quite demanding but we were told there were excellent views of Kinlochleven if we pushed on just a little further. The trouble was the climb got steeper but we managed it and were rewarded at the top with some magnificent scenery. After a short snack and drink break we started downhill which although easier was quite painful on the front toes.

Once down we changed into walking sandals and headed to the place called the Ice Factor. This is a place where you can learn to clim either on specially made walls or on simulated ice. We had a nice coffee there and then headed along the other side of the loch which took us into the hills for still more magnificent vistas.

The drive took us onto Glencoe but we decided to head back as we were both quite tired. The temperature was still climbing as we got back and the site looked fantastic with the sun on the loch and the hills opposite. But before too long the clouds returned and the bbqs were extinguished.

Tomorrow we leave for Balmaha on the east shore of Loch Lomond.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb