Tiree, second day


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Isle of Tiree
May 8th 2012
Published: May 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday.

We woke up to better weather, grey skies and windy but dry which got better as the morning went on. Cycling along westwards we were wondering what it is that people rave about on Tiree. However, as the day progressed and we circled the island in sunshine we saw the beautiful coastline with rugged outcrops, wide sandy beaches and turquoise water lapping against the rocks and white sand and realised that here was something special. There was also plenty of birdlife to see with the usual Oyster Catchers, Tewits, Wheatears, Starlings, Snipes, linnets and ringed plovers etc. We also saw several hares playing in the long grass. The buildings appear much different to the previous islands visited with many with high arched felted roofs and several stone built ones with white painted walls like a chequerboard. There were also many old 'black' houses with low walls and thatched roofs held down with wire netting tensioned with stones. It can see the allure of Tiree, especially since it has the most sun of anywhere in Britain. When the sun is out on these early May days it is quite warm, especially if the wind is on your back, but as soon as the sun disappears behind a cloud it is like someone has turned the heater from hot to cold (just like the hostel). We rode about 30 miles today at a leisurely pace, except a hard climb up one hill to a transmitter station to take in the view and enjoyed it all. We made two calls at the small cafe at Mannel on our way to and from Hynish where there is an excellent unmanned museum showing the geology and flora and fauna of the local islands. The owner and his wife also have a croft where they breed sheep and store cattle, the cafe is very clean, bright and serves good food and snacks - recommended. Our ferry leaves at 6.45pm arriving in Oban at 10.15pm, so a late bed tonight at the house of kind friends David and June Bleazard in Connell.
We have now completed 12 islands and almost 500 miles of cycling.
As Bill says, "Someone has to do it", life's a bitch isn't it?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb