Road To Glasgow


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Inveraray
August 17th 2016
Published: August 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Road to Glasgow

Woke up at the crack of dawn and took of tea across the road to soak up the early morning stillness of the harbour. A fishing boat was unloading and on further inpection and chat to the fisherman found two trays of lobsters heading into the back of a truck destined to arrive in Hong Kong the next day. Come to think about it I think I saw their cousin in a fish tank over there last week. Tarbert is a lovely sleepy little fishing village off the tourist track and we are thankful that Kirsten led us here. This morning we went on a short boat trip our onto the Loch Fyne. We saw seals, mussel farms and salmon farm and off course castles. We sped past a very large modern building (first new build I’d seen) called Portaverdie. Voted 2016 the world most luxurious spa. They wouldn’t stop and let me off. So we headed north to Kilmartin which is a very important archaeological site dating back 3000 years. Very pretty valley. We saw cairns and the standing stones which are carved effigies used as gravestones dating from several thousand years ago. They are still studying and digging this area but as usual funds restrict. We continued to follow the Loch Lomond along to Inveraray and took a tour of the castle Inveraray. This is the Duke of Argyles pile, and also where they filmed the Downton abbey Christmas special. True to form as we neared Glasgow like all cities we hit a traffic jam which put us an hour behind getting into Glasgow. On the bright side, the weather has finally improved (just as the school holidays end) and we arrived into a Glasgow bathed in sunshine which was being enjoyed to the full by everyone out and about and sitting at outside bars and cafes...Went out and found a fabulous Tapas bar huh… Spanish for the last night in Scotland. Here everybody’s sister lives in NZ. Considering I wasn’t that fussed about coming here in first place, I’m now sorry to leaving.

My ref:- Scotland Word Association: Fat Ladies; Dogs; Castles; Babbling brooks; Stone walls; Wildflowers; Salmon; Whiskey


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb