A climb up to Corrie Mee from Glen Doll


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Angus » Kirriemuir
June 9th 2015
Published: June 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The day started well and we set off to The Glens, a journey of about 15 miles through some beautiful countryside. We finally arrive at the Glen Doll Forestry Commission complex on the eastern side of the Cairngorm Mountains and prepared ourselves for a fairly difficult climb to the huge basin that is the Corrie Fee, Corrie Fee is truly dramatic, a massive bowl scooped out by a glacier, it is a National Nature Reserve. The climb is through forests and alongside a white water stream. It takes about an hour to walk the two miles and when you eventually emerge from the forest it is just like walking into an amphitheatre. It is awe inspiring to think that several million years ago this basis would have been filled with ice about a 100 metres deep.

We had lunch on a huge granite boulder and got talking to a couple from the same caravan site as us who were obviously keen walkers and proud of their fitness levels as 80 year olds.

We then decided to cross the basin and climb the back of the corrie up the waterfall. The path is easy to follow but also rugged and tricky in places. We got over halfway before deciding that was far enough. The views back across the corrie are dramatic and we spent about half an hour on the slopes before turning back.

On the way down we took a detour along the so called White Water Route and came across the same couple again this time having an afternoon cuppa at an idyllic spot beside the fast flowing water. We spent a few minutes there before continuing the descent arriving back at the car around 4.30 pm. Tony sat on a rock and dabbled his tired feet in the lovely water which was cold but soothing.

Back to camp for a shower and dinner and early night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 17; qc: 41; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb