Dartmouth


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
August 20th 2014
Published: October 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

20thAugust

Salcombe to Dartmouth 17nm

Had a good three days in Dartmouth. We were moored against a pontoon up the river. The harbour master who came to collect our fees, also agreed with Fowey and Salcombe that we were indeed 11m in length. At first he thought 11.5m, but then on consideration decided not to include our bowsprit in the measurements. What a great guy!! Very comfortable in this river and lots going on. A paddle-steamer to watch each night, a steam train every 45mins, lots of rowers, dinghies, tourist boats, ferries, you name it – it's there!!

On 21st we caught the steam-train up to Paignton. It's about a half hour trip. We went 'first class' on the way up – in the first carriage and had an explore of the town – larger than Dartmouth. Saw Brixton on the way up and that looks a lovely spot to anchor. Very touristy beaches with little beach huts all along them. At Paignton there is a massive carnival area with jumpy castles, playgounds etc and all very popular.

22nd went to the Dartmouth Castle for an explore. Fascinating history and very old (well obviously) buildings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.32s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb