a week road trip in the uk


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
July 3rd 2013
Published: July 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

so what does a blues supporter do when he is on the other side of the planet + its state of origin time? he searches the net for a glasgow pub that is showing it, in this case an aussie pub for expats + head off with his good ol mate markie mark who is an ex tassie/rocher boi who now spends his weekends playing aussie rules in glasgow on a soccer field dodging on field kids on their thumpsters competing as a third side. origin game one, + for the record the mighty blues smash the queensland toads!! wednesday, done.



thursday.. lauren + i drive to edinburgh to visit the epic castle on the hill. we like it so much that we decide that we could easily live there.



friday.. we go out for tea in glasgow with mark, sanna, hemmie + ant. tea is a pre-comedy gig so conversation is of course gloriously silly + fun. they then ditch us to go laugh there heads off for an hour or two whilst we go + sit in a dark room staring at a screen with strangers – we watched ‘the great gatsby’ + i give it 4 + a half stars.



saturday.. the travelling kangakilts hopped on to carlisle.. they started the epic road trip avoiding becoming roadkill by climbing up + down hadrons wall constantly exclaiming to each other, ‘ur dad would love this’. then on to sheffield, knutsford + then a mini look at the wonderous chatsworth house. for blokes who don’t have partners or don’t listen to them as attentively as they could, i should add that chatsworth house is where pride + prejudice was filmed.



as the sun rose on sunday.. we travelled to manchester, where i watched st helens saints triumph over the hapless bradford bulls. i was a live english sporting virgin so it was fantastic standing with pint in hand, singing along with songs i knew the tunes of but not the words. with these new songs singing in my head the we headed back to chatsworth house for a longer stay looking around the house + gardens which was thrilling for one of us.



monday.. we then spent a night in tawksbury which is filled with old tudor buildings hanging over street corners claiming the air space as their own. the fields of glastonbury whispered to us on the gentle southern english winds calling us to visit. we did. bath was the next adventure + we loved it to bits, eating lunch in the town square, listening to buskers wooing the crowd in the hot midday sun.



then it all got a little bit wild come tuesday, the portal town of portsmouth greeted us with wind, rain + fury. we stood out in its emotional display for about 30 minutes on the promenade in the darkness watching the wild waves crash down on the sorry shore below.



wednesday II.. we went on to a much happier brighton - brighton by name, bright by nature + what a funky little coastal city full of fun + dangerous bike lanes. we went out for tea at a pub + walked along the water front in the night air.





week, done.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



3rd July 2013

uk sights
Nice to see & hear of Hadrian's wall, Chatsworth House & south. You obviously had better weather in Brighton than we did. We had your Portsmouth weather in Brighton.So hope you are having the right priorities B & L. What do you think the sign actually meant? Continuing to love your blogs Ben. We have a few chuckles! Must be time consuming writing them - but it'll give you a delightful record of your travelling experiences. love Mum
3rd July 2013

uk sights
Nice to see & hear of Hadrian's wall, Chatsworth House & south. You obviously had better weather in Brighton than we did. We had your Portsmouth weather in Brighton.So hope you are having the right priorities B & L. What do you think the sign actually meant? Continuing to love your blogs Ben. We have a few chuckles! Must be time consuming writing them - but it'll give you a delightful record of your travelling experiences. love Mum

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb