The country drive


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
July 11th 2011
Published: July 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On Monday, Maria and I set off from the lovely Foulridge to York. Instead of driving straight there, we opted for a scenic adventure. We first drove toward Skipton, turning off just south of the town to head to Grassington. Stopping in Grassington, we found some information for our route and then wandered around the picturesque town centre. We then drove on Pateley Bridge. I must mention here that the drive over the whole day was just lovely. Very easy on the eye, with pleasing views of rolling farmland.

Pateley Bridge was a little darker and sadder than Grassington, but we still stopped for tea and scones before head onwards to the Brimham Rocks. The countryside changed a little as we headed further into Nidderdale, remained pleasing. Brimham Rocks were rather impressive. These natural structures seems to defy laws of gravity and teeter one upon the other, sometimes with great delicacy that it is almost unbelievable. Sadly it started to rain, but that did not obscure our view across the dales.

From Brimham Rocks we drove to Fountains Abbey, where we had a light lunch before heading through to see the very well preserved ruins. We caught a little of a tour, but continuing on with the long-winded by fascinating guide would have made us late. So we explored on our own for a little while. We left the calm, winding backroads and joined the A1 to head towards York.

We arrived at York just in time to drop off the car and catch a taxi to the university. The rooms were just as I imagined - student dorms somewhat the same as those in Plymouth that I stayed in at Plymouth. This first evening was only for registration and light buffet reception. It was a nice way to start, as I caught up with many people whom I had met in Plymouth, at other conferences or even at UCLA. I also met new people, including one of my PhD examiners who introduced himself to me!

Sarah

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb