London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
April 23rd 2009
Published: May 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we arrived in London.. It was freezing and raining. We headed straight to the airport bathroom to organise our gags. When we went to buy our ticket for the ferry crossing to Amsterdam they told us that we needed to buy them at least 24 hours before hand. After walking all over London trying to find a hostel to stay the night (Easter weekend, everything was booked!!!) we realised that our bags were way too heavy, and even though it would cost a bit we decided to send some things home, this would save our backs and we would be able to walk around easier.. Eventually we found a place to sleep, The Generator. We stayed there for two nights so we could pack the box and send on Monday. When we were at this hostel we found out about a company called New Europe, everyday they give a free walking tour of the city, showing all of the main tourist attractions, it was for about three hours and at the end you give the tour guide a tip. I really liked these tours, because it gives you some history and shows you how to get to everything, you get to go for a walk, and its really cheap!!! its really good. They have them in quite a few cities all over Europe. So we booked our ferry across to Amsterdam and had a look on the internet at how much the train travel around Europe would cost us with the Eurail. It looked really expensive.. We got really worried because we spent heaps on the Rail Pass and we still have to pay heaps. Anyway when we got to the train station to pick up the ferry ticket. The guy said that we didn't have a reservation, and that we had to buy the ticket again. Another 50 Euro 😞 Also when we bought the ticket for the ferry on the phone they said that there was no discount for Eurail, should have been 30% another 40 Euro... So we bought the train ticket again, which ment that we were going to arrive at the ferry at 11pm without a reservation.. I told Jules that I was going to get on the ferry anyway... Just sleep on the floor or something!!Otherwise we had to set up camp somewhere, and it was freezing!!!When we got to the front of the line at the ferry reservation, there was a really nice man working, he saw how worried we were, gave us some easter eggs and said that we did have a reservation!!!! Man I was happy.
When we got onto the ferry it was awesome, felt like 1st class!! Our room had a couple of beds, shower, toilet, table, wardrobe, it was really beautiful. The ferry had a restuarant, bar, pokies, a cinema, a kids room and even shops!! and because we just bought our camera we could take photos 😊 We spent the evening drinking a couple of beers and playing backgamon. It was really swell.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb