Day 10 South Bristol-Great Torrington


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
April 22nd 2009
Published: April 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

OK, OK, I have taken a battering from so many people about the time it has taken me to update our adventure. Apologies to all those who have been left hanging in North Bristol........but here goes!!

Firstly, you will have noticed that we actually finished in SOUTH Bristol and not North. In fact it was a good few miles out of South Bristol past the airport and conveniently on the camp site that Sah, Fiona and the kids were pitched up in. We had managed to take off circa 30 miles from the total due to the great conditions experienced yesterday. I should add here that we were joined by Clare and Reg at this point to add to the ever increasing people who want to see us suffer........er.......I mean support team.

I should also add here that when you decide to use a 'green' campsite to home your motorhome, Sah, you should refrain from using the kettle, shower, ultra heater, jacuzzi, sun bed, electric blanket and TV at the same time, as it tends to blow the entire camp's switchboard!!

So, we had to get to Great Torrington. Weather was good but we knew we would have the hills of Exmoor to contend with!! All was going swimmingly as we reached Bridgwater...... apart from Gabe deciding he would join the 'Hit the dirt' league table with his alternative dismount technique!

We piled on the miles and were flying through the Southwest country in no time. A great lunch feast was put on by our support team (Colin, Tessa, Amy and Josh) combined with the Motorhomers (Sah, Fiona, Clare, Charlie and Jess). Daz was there to give us his usual words of abuse (encouragement) and Yo to tell him off!! I won't mention that earlier we all followed our illustrious leader Burnsey into an ASDA car park as he was following Daz and Yo in their car as they were using the opportunity to do a spot of shopping! It's that way you @~#?ing idiots was the charming send off we received.

When we got to South Moldon, we were greeted by Yo's Mum and sister who had popped down the road to see us through. I now realise that they had actually popped down the road to make sure we were going through and not stopping in their unspoilt world!

Now, we only had suffered 2 punctures up to this point on the whole trip, and whilst we were busy negotiating the steepest hills we had come across in our lives, my chain snapped. Great! I can finish here then!! No chance of that, slave driver Burnsey was on the phone to back up and i was soon peddling on another bike (which took me 20 minutes to work out how it worked, it had more buttons and thingies than my simple yellow peril!) We made it to Great Torrington, albeit a bit dark and were ready for a night in Barnstaple.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb