QE2 - Cobh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
September 30th 2008
Published: October 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The QE2 boarding process at the Southampton docks was very easy and we soon found ourselves in our cabin on the aft-end of the fourth deck. The cabin is a small internal one but quite comfortable. After unpacking our suitcases we went exploring the ship.

The captain announced instead of making our scheduled stop at Cherbourg we would be sailing overnight to Cobh where we would spend an extra night. The change was made to avoid a bad weather front which would have made it impossible to dock at Cherbourg harbour.

We met our friends, Chris, Susan, Lyn and Ken for pre dinner drinks in the Crystal Bar with piano playing in the background before going to dinner in the dining room. After a lovely dinner some of our friends went to a show while the others went to trivia.

Due to the rock and rolling of the ship I retired to my cabin and took a travel sickness tablet. The ship rocked and rolled all night as we traveled through the storm, Ron of course was in his element whereas I started to wonder if I would cope with 16 nights at sea.

Wednesday 1st October

We arrived at Cobh harbour early afternoon, it is a beautiful harbour with colourful painted houses lining the waterfront making a very pretty setting. As we had an extra afternoon and the ship docked right in Cobh we were able to walk to the impressive Cathederal.

On the way back to the ship the guys were happy to sample pints or Murphys while the ladies enjoyed the cider. We also viewed the museum located in an old train station, it was dedicated to the Titanic, the sinking of the Lusitania and the migration of millions of Irish immigrants who left Cobh Harbour to seek a better life in the new world.

Dinner that night was black and white formal, the food and service on board is exceptional. After dinner we all went to a tribute show to Nat King Cole after which our friends retired but Ron and I thought we would check out the band playing in the Yacht Club, the theme was rock and roll so Ron and I danced until 1.30am.


Thursday 2nd October

As we had six in our group we booked a mini bus and driver for the day instead of taking one of the ship tours. Liam our driver from Butlers Tours was waiting at the docks for us and soon had us on our way, our first stop was Blarney Castle where we walked through the lovely gardens. We all climbed to the top of the castle where some of us did a limbo laying on our backs to kiss the Blarney Stone. For those of us who kissed the stone we are now supposed to have the gift of the gab, Ron apparently kissed it years ago (he does love a chat!)

We then drove through the green rolling hills to Kinsale, a lovely little seaside village with colourful houses and cobbled streets. Liam was able to take us to some high view points that we are sure a larger tour bus would not have been able to reach to take photos of the picturesque scenery.

On the way back to Cobh harbour we were able to stop at the graveyard where the Lusitania passengers were remembered. We all agreed having a driver to take us on our own tour had been a great way to view the lovely countryside around Cork.

We due to leave at 6pm and had to make a difficult 180 degree turn to sail out of the harbour. As we were turning in the small harbour we became alarming close to a Navy ship, "Alex" the tug came to the rescue and kept us from connecting with the Navy. We looked to be just feet from the edge of the navy ship, we were unsure if the Navy crewmen rushed up on deck to wave us off or jump to safety, they did look a little worried.

The people of Cobh gave us a lovely farewell with a number of boats following us out and the people lining the harbour side. It felt sad to say farewell to such a lovely port knowing the QE2 would never return. That night we had another lovely dinner, followed by a show and dancing.





Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.542s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.2311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb