On the Train to London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
July 2nd 2008
Published: July 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

So they have wireless internet on the train! Thought I'd write a bit more about yesterday, but realize there's really no way to explain the beauty of what we saw in the Highlands of Scotland... Our photos (many taken out the moving bus window) don't do it justice, either... In addition to absorbing the scenery, we were given a crash course in Scottish history (I think I've finally got it straight), culture and ecology by our multi-faceted and entertaining guide. Although he looked a bit like an aging "surfer dude", Bill had a background in ecology and had been a park ranger and in the IT industry before finding his true calling. (He also had been to San Luis Obispo and asked us if we were familiar with Linnaea's!!) Our 28 person mini-bus traveled through all kinds of terrain and all types of weather before reaching Loch Ness. Our boat ride out onto the loch was a bit dull after Bill, we did get a sense how absolutely huge and deep it is. Last night we went to an Irish (!) pub with live music for dinner, then fell into bed, exhausted.

Today we caught the train for London, and are enjoying vignettes from the countryside and small villages as we travel in comfort. We should get there about 1:45, then taxi to our apartment, where we are supposed to be met by someone from the rental agency. We hope to get oriented, get some groceries, then probably dinner in the Leicester Square area...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

GlencoeGlencoe
Glencoe

Site of Glencoe Massacre of the MacDonald clan by the Campbell clan on the orders of British king. Needless to say, you don't mention your last name if it is Campbell in this area, even today...
Nouvelle Cuisine Version of Haggis, Tatties & NeepsNouvelle Cuisine Version of Haggis, Tatties & Neeps
Nouvelle Cuisine Version of Haggis, Tatties & Neeps

That's haggis (ground meats--don't ask), mashed potatoes, and mashed turnips, stacked in a mold and covered with Jamieson Whiskey sauce.


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb