Day 19—Rosslyn Chapel, Berwick on Tweed.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
October 3rd 2007
Published: October 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Very slow getting up today but we are in no hurry. Logged on to the internet finally and uploaded my drafted Blog entries and downloaded 228 emails. Thanks to all who have emailed. We are unable to send emails for some reason, but yes the seagull was very funny and who would believed that Buddy would be that stupid.

Rosslyn Chapel was interesting, if for no other reason than I have seen the movie and read De Vinci code. I can now say that I have stood on the rose line and under the star in the roof. The crypt is where all the interesting stuff might be but it is so well sealed, and because the Chapel is privately owned ,containing the remains of the St Clair family, there is no great hurry to excavate it.

The drive to Berwick was easy. It is quite a large town, and much prettier than Annan. My Grandfathers Grandparents came from here in the late 1800’s and you would wonder why they left. We stopped outside the house that I think they lived in, based on my memory from my file which is back home. We then went over the old bridge and over to the Spittal and stopped and dipped our feet in the waters of the Atlantic (my 4th Ocean now).

We then headed down the very scenic route along the coast to our camp site here at Dunstan Hill. Along the way we had a small mishap and left most of the rear bumper behind. We were trying to turn around when the back end of the camp dropped off the curb and down into a gully, smashing the rear half of the bumper on the ground below. Just as well we took out travel insurance !

As we arrived at Dunstan Hill, a fighter jet swooped extremely lowly over the camp site. The manager was telling us that the local Northumberland RAF base is only allowed to do 20 minutes of manoeuvres each month, and the fighter had been going for about 18 minutes already. The manger also warned us that the weather forecast was a bad, and a big front was moving in to the area. The weather has been as good as we could ask for, but it has to give out eventually. At least with the cloud around and being close
Northumberland Scenic CoastNorthumberland Scenic CoastNorthumberland Scenic Coast

We were driving along the most amazing coast and wanted to take a photo in the middle of nothing. We cam around a corner and there was a long stretch to pull over at. There was 10 cars parked here.
to the coast, we should have a warmer night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb