April 5 – Rest Day.... Well Maybe


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
April 5th 2023
Published: April 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

April 5 – Rest Day.... Well Maybe

After watching British Football, I felt like we’re living Ted Lasso....

This morning we slept in, it was raining, well not really. Ok, rain in England is like cloudy day in Florida and it’s a heavy misty rain. We were expecting a down pour of rain.

Kirsten promised a rest day, I was going to catch up on all the blogs and maybe even get a nap. Well, that all changed.

After another HUGE! breakfast, Kirsten has planned a full day.

First, we went to the Pendennis Castle on the Fal River. This is where the river meets the Chanel.

King Henry VIII had it built knowing the Spanish Armada was going to be coming. It took five years to build it and it was used during WWI and WWII to protect England. Yep, really, they updated the castle with large cannons that fired up 5 plus miles into the channel. Now you ask how did they know where the ships or subs were? They used blimps to spot the ships and subs. They were very successful in this process and sank quite a few boats.

They had guided tours; Kirsten asks if I wanted to take it. You know, with your dad being in the Army and all I thought you might like hearing the history. Yea! No thanks, I know how it ended.

It was still drizzling when we left the castle and drove to “The Lizard”. Yep that’s the name, it’s a small town located down on the coast. Which means even smaller roads. Now I told you the English roads were small, driving to The Lizard the roads were even smaller. It felt like driving in a ditch in Kentucky, except these were smaller.

Once we arrived at The Lizard, the coastline was nothing but cliffs for as far as you could see.

Yes, a lighthouse was there along with a Lifeboat station. Many a ship have crashed on its shores. This lifeboat station saved many lives. Also, it was majorly windy, like hurricane force winds.

After having a Pasty and beer at Annie’s Pasty shop at The Lizard we headed back to our pub. Because Ted Lasso had a game tonight and we couldn’t miss it.

Yes, I had to ask again ...who are we rooting for?? We had a late dinner from the Fish and Chips takeaway next door.

Oh, I forgot as I was updating the blog, a couple sat down next to us to watch the game. We had a lively discussion.

The game was over I think Ted won, maybe either way the pub crowd was happy.

Off to bed we went.

Good night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.339s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb